A Boys Love manga series by Yamagishi Hokuto, centred around mythical half-human, half-beast creatures that fell from heaven to earth and the human masters that control them. Though Wild Fangs was published first, Wild Rose and Wild Wind, are technically prequels, with Wild Rose taking place a few years earlier and Wild Wind telling the origin myth of the manbeasts.
Wild Wind (2008)
In the wars between gods a piece of heaven falls to earth, bringing creatures far more powerful than any on earth with it. Olgrius, an immortal sent to do the gods' work on earth, is ordered to find and kill the creatures, who have begun attacking humans. One of the first he runs into is Shui, who protects him from another beast that has gone mad.
Shui and Olgrius travel together searching for the bloodthirsty beast, and Olgrius begins to realize being around humans is what is driving the manbeasts to insanity. After reuniting Shui with the other manbeasts Olgrius leaves, knowing that he cannot kill any of them, and bargains with the gods to let the manbeasts be free in exchange for his life. In the end his immortality is stripped away and he is marked for life. These marks make him the master of Shui and prevent his rage around humans so long as they are together. Olgrius' descendents start to be born with marks too, ensuring the continued protection of the manbeasts over the centuries—should they be able to find their masters.
Wild Rose (2007)
In a forest, far from humans live the last few manbeasts. Sick of hiding away and hearing his grandmother's sentimental stories about finding a master, Kiri leaves her and his brother Mao and joins civilization. Eventually he starts to lose his control over his beast side and attacks a human, only to be suddenly halted by a mysterious man, Mikhail.
When he wakes up he finds himself in a country manor, and realizes that Mikhail is his master. Their relationship begins tensely as Kiri is unable to disobey Mikhail's orders and has to remain in the house as a servant. They quickly begin a physical relationship, which develops into more as Kiri's fierce desire for independence and Mikhail's emotional coldness begin to dissipate. Life becomes almost tranquil until a rogue manbeast kidnaps Camille, the boy Mikhail is fostering.
Wild Fangs (2006)
After the death of his grandmother, Mao leaves their now-empty home to seek for his master. After accidentally revealing himself to be a manbeast, the bounty hunter Syon decides to take up with him to help protect him from the other hunters who see Mao as a prize target. Having heard the rumours of a manbeast on the loose, Mikhail asks Kiri to search for his brother.
Mao gets kidnapped eventually and delivered to a rare animal collector, and despite their disagreements both Kiri and Syon try to break him out. Mao is drugged and goes rampant, until Syon reveals he too has markings and is Mao's master.
This series provides examples of:
- Beautiful Dreamer: Used at the end of Wild Rose with Mikhail sleeping on Kiri's shoulder to show he's changing from his old, distant self.
- Big Brother Instinct: Kiri has a strong caring instinct for Mao. Granted, it doesn't stop him from immediately trying to kill Mao when Mao loses control of his beast side (he probably considered that a favour though).
- Big, Friendly Dog: Tranquilo is almost as tall as Camille, and quite friendly as long as you're not threatening him.
- Bio-Augmentation: Syon is created in attempt to make more Marked Ones. Besides being created via artificial insemination, he was continually having pieces transplanted leaving huge raw scars where the natural markings would ideally be.
- Blue Blood: Mikhail is rich and connected.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: In exchange for not killing the manbeasts Olgrius gets hit with this hard, physically scarring him (and his descendents) for life.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: In Kiri's case the "can't live without them" is rather literal, but over time both he and Mikhail come to appreciate each other in spite of their differences and in the end Mikhail hesitantly admits "You are necessary to me" in response to Kiri's Love Confession.
- Coitus Uninterruptus: A post-coitus example occurs when Bernt walks in on Mikhail and Kiri the morning after. Neither Bernt nor Mikhail act like anything's out of the ordinary, while Kiri is panicking and flabbergasted at the lack of reaction.
- Creepy Crows: Sukari is a shape-shifting crow and has the personality to match.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It turns out Syon was artificially engineered and grew up in a lab where he was constantly experimented on but had no one who remotely cared for him. Subverted in that he doesn't remember it all that well so it's not as big a deal as others think it is.
- Emotionless Man: Because Mikhail's full-body markings manifest whenever he feels emotion, his mother raised him to feel nothing so he could pass for normal. As a result, he doesn't even understand what separates love and indifference. Bernt is a less severe example, simply being the utterly unflappable butler.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Tranquilo immediately starts growling when he detects the rogue manbeast's presence and tries to protect Camille from him.
- Has Two Daddies: Implied at the end of Wild Rose with Kiri, Mikhail and Camille.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Camille, who is the son of friends of Mikhail's who passed away. Not only does he look like an angel, but he's also prone to Tender Tears and just wants some love and attention from his diffident father figure Mikhail.
- I Know Your True Name: Mikhail knowing Kiri's true name, Kazekiri, proved he was his master and gave him control over him.
- Inter-Class Romance: Due to their supernatural connection, after Mikhail forces Kiri to become his servant they begin a physical relationship which eventually evolves into a romantic one.
- The Jeeves: Bernt, who doesn't bat an eye over anything and appears like a phantom the moment one of the servants slacks off in their work.
- Jerkass Gods: The gods cause a piece of heaven to fall to earth because they are warring, and then order that the poor, innocent, confused creatures who fell with it be killed because they are an involuntary danger to humanity.
- Licked by the Dog: Camille begins to trust Kiri because Tranquilo trusts him.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Kiri most definitely, and Olgrius and Shui as well.
- Love Confession: As he attempts to leave Kiri finally confesses his feelings towards Mikhail."I...don't know how to fix what is already broken, but you, as you are, I love."
- Love Makes You Crazy: Invertednote . When they have a master, manbeasts will not attack humans, a bond which is based around love (whether they want it or not). So basically, love keeps you sane in this world.
- Luminescent Blush: Mao after talking to so many girls all at once.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Syon was created and grew up in one of these, of the castle dungeon variety.
- Magic Pants: Averted. When the characters transform back from beast form, they are naked.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Kiri does this when he wakes up after transforming without any clothes and wants to leave the manor. He does it again when Bernt enters his room without warning the morning after he sleeps with Mikhail.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Syon is like this towards Mao before they actually get together.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Manbeasts are functionally werewolves. They are a hereditary magical race and can choose when to transform, but lose control around humans without a master to keep them in check. A master is essentially a cure to their madness.
- Parental Neglect: Mikhail's mother raised him without showing any emotion in order that his markings wouldn't show. While this control allows him to live a good life in society, it really psychologically screwed him over and he has no concept of what love even is. This leads to him neglecting Camille, his adopted son, in turn because he doesn't understand Camille's attachment to him or why he needs to reciprocate it.
- Powder Keg Crowd: Everytime the manbeasts go into human settlements the humans start getting suspicious and violent because they subliminally pick up the destructive power the manbeasts are capable of. This in turn makes the manbeasts lose their minds and involuntarily react, escalating the situation.
- Power Tattoo: After being electrocuted by god, Olgrius is covered in markings. These are passed on to his descendants, marking them as masters of manbeasts. Mikhail's are natural but Syon's are actually genetically engineered.
- Seeker Archetype: Kiri grows tired of his small world and leaves his family to find out for himself the truth of things. He mostly settles after he meets Mikhail but is still inquisitive about everyday things.
- Sense Freak: Once Olgrius loses his immortality sex becomes a lot...sexier. And more taxing.
- Shapeshifter Identity Crisis: All manbeasts lose control of their form when in extended contact with humans, losing their sanity and attacking them. This is traumatic for the manbeasts themselves, who don't harbour any ill-will to humans.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Kiri is angry about being forced to become a servant and purposefully riles up Mikhail. This very quickly leads to sex.
- Smug Snake: Sukari. Technically a smug raven, but that's pretty much the same thing.
- Snow Means Love: As Mao waits at the train station it begins snowing and Syon shows up to stop him from leaving. As they have their romantic moment it's announced that the trains are cancelled because of the snowfall.
- Talking Animal: Gido, who is a sentient furball.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Mikhail was raised to show no emotion and does not understand what love really is. In contrast, not feeling love is the only thing Kiri can't understand, and he wants to teach him.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Occurs on a very personal level with Kiri, who wants to be around humans and doesn't want to be chained down by a master. No matter how hard he tries, he can't keep his sanity around humans without a master and when he gets one he can't disobey him and becomes naturally complacent with the situation, in spite of his earlier struggles.
- You Sexy Beast: Upon seeing Mao's beast form, instead of thinking "I could get so much money for him" like his fellow bounty hunters, he decides to protect (and woo) him instead.