New shinigami Hikari is doing her best every day to get used to her onerous duties. The only thing that keeps her going is the kindness of her superior, Commander Ryouma. But, when a disastrous event happens among the shinigamis, everything changes...
A slightly steamy Shoujo by Fujita Maguro.
This manga contains examples of:
- All-Loving Heroine: Hikari
- Always Identical Twins: Kotori and Kotoha.
- Ambiguous Innocence: Nagi, a kitten who became a humanoid shinigami after he died but has since been traumatized into amnesia, still has his soul-reaping claws (sword-blades on his hands à la Capt. Kuro). He loves his "mama" and won't hesitate to "make squishy" anyone who hurts her, including a pair of Hansel and Gretel expys.
- Broken Bird: Hikari, whose Trauma Conga Line is implied to have begun in a past life before the one she remembers and is still going on. And yet she somehow manages to stay positive.
- Coordinated Clothes: Kotori and Kotoha.
- Dark and Troubled Past:
- In life, Hikari was a clone created for the sole purpose of donating her internal organs to Hotaru—meaning she was effectively raised to be sacrificed.
- Ryouma is implied to have one.
- Also, the twins shinigamis were sex slaves. And they're children.
- In fact, most shinigamis have such a past, seeing as suicide is a requirement to get the job.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Hikari is a very cheerful and friendly shinigami, to the dismay of her colleagues.
- Driven to Suicide:
- Upon discovering that she was a clone and realizing that saving her own life would condemn Hotaru, that's the path Hikari chose.
- Shinigamis are souls who commited that particular sin.
- Ill Girl: Hotaru
- Love Triangle: Sort of. Councillor Ikki is in love with Hikari, who herself is in love with Ryouma. Ryouma's feeling are unclear for now.
- Magnetic Plot Device: The Akashic Record.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Kotori was a All-Loving Heroine and Kotoha is... not.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Hikari's "teacher" in her memories wore them.
- Shinigami: They are souls who committed the sin of suicide but met certain requirements and so were given the opportunity to redeem themselves by taking this job. Their duty is to escort the souls of the deceased to the Gate of Judgement, where it will be decided whether they are to go to Heaven or Hell.
- Sinister Scythe: Played straight with most shinigamis; notably averted by Hikari, whose "scythe" is in fact a giant spoon.
- Theme Twin Naming: Kotori and Kotoha.
- Trauma Conga Line: The story so far is just an ongoing one for Hikari.