Useless Princesses is a yuri manga by ajiichi.
Nanaki Fujishiro is one of the most beautiful and popular girls in school, proud of her looks and her boyfriend. All that comes crashing down when her boyfriend is caught cheating on her and dumps her in short order.
In that moment, in comes Kanade Kurokawa, the girl Fujishiro looks down upon for being plain and unattractive. While their dislike is mutual, Kurokawa ends up helping Fujishiro, causing the two to gradually become friends, and possibly something more than that.
The series contains examples of:
- A-Cup Angst: Kurokawa feels a bit uncomfortable around the better-endowed Fujishiro, Izumi and Akazawa.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Izumi to Fujishiro in Chapter 19.
- Armor-Piercing Response: In Chapter 9, Izumi intervenes to help Kurokawa, and Miki demands to know what Izumi means. Izumi then tells Miki that "Taking it out on [Kurokawa] isn't going to make Nanaki come back." All Miki can do is demand an explanation as Izumi and Kurokawa walk away. Once they've left, Izumi tells Kurokawa that Miki still admires Fujishiro, and thus can't accept how Fujishiro has changed.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Kurokawa ends up befriending Fujishiro and Akazawa this way- the former by comforting her after her boyfriend dumps her, and the latter by offering to let her read manga at the Kurkoawa house. In Fujishiro's case, Kurokawa even succeeds without even intending to, since she still hated Fujishiro at the time.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Downplayed. While Kurokawa's eyebrows aren't comically huge, they are larger than Fujishiro considers attractive.
- Blunt "Yes": Recounted in an offscreen exchange between Izumi and Miki.Izumi: Back when you were suspended, I asked Miki this question. "Let me ask you this, Miki... So you don't consider Nanaki your friend anymore, is that it?" Like that.
Fujishiro: Why did you even ask her that?! With how things are between us, of course she'd say yes!
Izumi: Yeah, and that was exactly what she said.
- Break the Haughty: The first chapter is this for Fujishiro, involving her boyfriend turning out to have been cheating on her, forcing her to find comfort in the one person she hates most.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Akazawa stands up during the Furo Scene and calls it "The obligatory bath scene in all school field trips!" Kurokawa then asks her who she's talking to.
- Childhood Friend: Iro Akazawa is this to Kurokawa, since they've known each other snce they were young.
- Class Trip: The main characters' school goes to Kyoto, Nara and Osaka, from October 28 through 31.
- Cool Big Bro: Fujishiro gets along well with her older brother, who also takes a liking to Kurokawa.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Fujishiro insists that Kurokawa, who calls her "Fujishiro-san," drop the "-san" and simply use her last name.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted. Despite comforting Fujishiro, Kurokawa initially wants nothing to do with her. It's only after Fujishiro sticks up for her around the time Kurokawa's own friends cut ties with her that Kurokawa starts seeing Fujishiro as a friend.
- Establishing Character Moment:
- Fujishiro is shown being greeted by her friends, who gush over her in a magazine shoot, before casually making fun of Kurokawa's eyebrows.
- Kurokawa gets home late, and tells her mother that she wasn't out shopping for clothes. She then wonders why she heped Fujishiro, whom she hates.
- Fatal Flaw: Kurokawa's most frequent issue is her poor self-esteem and how she tends to put Fujishiro on a pedestal, even while she hated Fujishiro. As a result, it's difficult for her to see Fujishiro as an equal or get closer to her.
- Furo Scene: The girls have one while on the trip in Nara. Akazawa calls this an obligatory part of all school trips.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: Fujishiro and Kurokawa end up Holding Hands during a horror movie, which they chose to see together on the basis that it was a genre that they both hated.
- Gyaru Girl: Fujishiro and her friends all dress and act in a way typical of this trope.
- Hate Sink: Hiro, Fujishiro's ex-boyfriend. He cheats on Fujishiro, and when confronted, callously dumps her.
- Fujishiro starts off this way, looking down on and making fun of Kurokawa for being plain.
- Hiro's revealed as this. He's not only unrepentant when confronted with evidence of his cheating, but even mocks Fujishiro.
- Miki continues to be this for much of the story, turning against Fujishiro as she befriends Kurokawa.
- Jerk-to-Nice-Guy Plot: The story shows Fujishiro becoming a better person.
- Last-Name Basis: Fujishiro and Kurokawa call each other by their last names. In fact, when Izumi, whom Kurokawa has just met, proposes using first names, Kurokawa realizes Fujishiro is the only person close to her who calls her "Kurokawa."
- New Transfer Student: Akazawa transfers in midway through the series.
- Nice Girl:
- Zig-zagged with Kurokawa. While she's definitely not a bad person, she admits that she hated Fujishiro and hadn't intended for her remarks after Fujishiro was dumped to be a kind act.
- Izumi is one of the nicest characters in the cast, and one of the only real friends Fujisiro has.
- Oblivious to Hatred: In the early chapters, Fujishiro doesn't realize that Kurokawa still hates her for bullying her, assuming that Kurokawa comforting her after her breakup was meant as an act of kindness. Over time, however, the two girls do become friends.
- Odd Friendship: A vain and somewhat superficial gyaru becomes friends with a plain-looking and unpopular Otaku.
- Otaku: Fujishiro, who is an avid reader of manga.
- Reality Ensues: When Kurokawa and Fujishiro end up wearing makeup to school, they get caught in the morning inspection. When Fujishiro loses her temper and bashes the teacher on the head, she gets suspended for a week.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Fujishiro gets one from Hiro when she confronts him over two-timing her, and shows him Izumi's picture of him with another girl.Hiro: Nanaki, I'm done with you.
Hiro: She's my main girl. Since you confessed to me, I decided to go out with you and keep you as a backup. But I didn't think you'd be this stupid. I mean, you'd never have noticed without seeing that picture, would you? You may look pretty, but really, who would want to date such a boring girl like you? Bye.
- Kurokawa gets a vicious one from Miki when the latter is badmouthing Fujishiro.Miki: Kurokawa, right? You really think you can be the same as Fujishiro Nanaki? I heard you've been trying to be equal to Fujishiro Nanaki, right? Seriously?! That's funny as heck! She's pretty enough to be interviewed by a fashion magazine, you know. Just changing your hair and putting up a little makeup doesn't get you even near to being like her. You better wake up and face the truth, girl. Nanaki will always consider both you and us to be beneath her.
- Fujishiro gets one from Hiro when she confronts him over two-timing her, and shows him Izumi's picture of him with another girl.
- School Swimsuit: Much to Fujishiro's dismay, Kurokawa wears hers to the pool.
- Secret Keeper: Kurokawa keeps the fact that she saw Fujishiro crying after her breakup a secret.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: When Kurokawa stands up to Miki in order to defend Fujishiro, she gets a "The Reason You Suck" Speech in response.
- Sustained Misunderstanding: For the first few chapters, Kurokawa unwittingly gives Fujishiro the effort that she's actively being nice to her. Eventually, Kurokawa stops trying to correct Fujishiro.
- Switching P.O.V.: The chapters generally alternate between Fujishiro's POV and Kurokawa's POV.
- Sympathetic P.O.V.: Played with. While each of the main couple's actions can be more understandable when you see things from her perspective, Kurokawa's first POV chapter reveals that she actually hates Fujishiro and "helped" her for personal reasons.
- Title Drop: A bit like Puella Magi Madoka Magica, each chapter is named for a line of dialogue in it.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After being dumped by her boyfriend and pitied by the one person she hated most, Fujishiro becomes a nicer person.
- Unrequited Love: Izumi, towards Yukari. After Yukari joked about having Izumi as her girlfriend, Izumi asked if they could go out. When Yukari gave a "Huh?" in response, Izumi tried to play it off as a joke, but their friendship never fully recovered.
- Wall Pin of Love: Fujishiro does this to Kurokawa when offering to pay her back for her kindness by making her cute.
- We Used to Be Friends: Both Fujishiro and Kurokawa end up ostracized from their former groups of friends for various reasons.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Chapter 19 shows how Izumi met Fujishiro, and tells about her Unrequited Love for Yukari.
- With Friends Like These...: Kurokawa's group of friends are quick to kick her out after they see her associating with Fujishiro, and most of Fujishiro's friends are equally fickle.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Kurokawa is a fan of gay manga.
- Your Cheating Heart: Fujishiro's boyfriend turns out to be two-timing her in the first episode.