The Last Saiyuki (最後の西遊記 Saigo no Saiyuuki, or, literally, The Last Journey to the West), is a manga written by Daijirou Nonoue and serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump, starting in early 2019.
The story focuses on Ryunosuke, a boy who dreams of being a baseball player, but his dreams are cut short when his father brings home a young girl. This is not the only change in Ryunosuke's life, in order to take care of Koharu, his new sister, he must quit school and spend all his time at home. Koharu is blind, does not have the use of her arms or legs, and her voice can bring monsters into the world.
The Last Saiyuki contains examples of the following tropes:
- All Myths Are True: The story of Journey to the West actually happened.
- Artificial Limbs: Koharu is quadriplegic, and her limbs are instead those similar to a ball-jointed doll.
- Big Brother Instinct: At first, Ryonosuke didn't want anything to do with Koharu. After some punishment for being neglectful and some lessons learned, he develops this and vows to protect her no matter what.
- Book-Ends: The series begins when a person who looks like Koharu mori utter a single word that will unleash the apocalypse in the near future The end of the final chapter reveals that the apocalypse is likely the start of the final battle where it turns out that the person at the beginning of the series is just a lookalike of Koharu who releases the final monster as it represents the disasters of earth itself and shows the older and determined Ryunosuke with his allies along with an older Koharu and the redeemed Sai preparing to fight.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: The ability to extend the Nyoibo and bring monsters into existence depend on whether or not a person's Mou is open, basically, whether or not they believe the impossible can happen.
- Decomposite Character: In-Universe; Son Goku was two people, Kei and Sai.
- Distant Finale : The final chapter ends where the story began in the near future where it shows an older Ryunosuke and Koharu with their allies including a redeemed Sai preparing for a final battle against the giant monster who represents the natural disasters of earth
- Disability Superpower: Koharu uses her psychic abilities to move her prosthetic limbs to move around.
- Eldritch Abomination: Many monsters appear like this.
- Everyone is a Super: Anyone can unleash their Nyoibo after their mou is opened. Everyone has a mou.
- Eyes Always Shut: Due to her blindness, Koharu does not open her eyes.
- Foil: Estelle is this to Ryonosuke. Both lost their mothers at a young age and raised by nyoibo users and trained to be users themselves. However, Ryunosuke's master was his biological father while Estelle's isnt related to her. They also both have something to protect by becoming users.
- Gag Nose: Ryunosuke's father has a beak-like nose.
- How We Got Here : The series begins with what is likely to be the start of the final battle in the near future
- Kid Hero: Ryonosuke is only in third grade, and he's the hero of this story.
- Shout-Out: Chapter 10 has a nyoibo user dressed up like Goku and doing a Kamehameha.
- Telescoping Staff: Ryonosuke and his father both have one in their Nyoibo, which are made from Son Goku's own.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Ryunosuke looks like his mother, but young, male, and with blue hair.
- Urban Fantasy: Takes place in modern-day Japan, yet theres magic and monsters around.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ryunosuke and his father have blue hair.