Noto Kanazawa, prodigy broadcaster, is starting high school at Kitakou High. He wants to join the Broadcasting Club that did so well at the regional competition eight years ago. When he gets there, though, he finds a ninja commiting suicide.
The infamous club is sadly no more. The ninja, Suzuka Akafuku, was the only remaining member, and nobody could understand him because of the mask covering his face. So, Noto and the Ninja revive the club with the permission of Miyako, the Student Council President. They gain more members, the stoic Hatoba Isahaya, the Sentai loving country girl Rinko Tsugaru, the Keet Otaku Hinaji Kasukabe, and then they make a movie.
Susume Kitakou Housoubu contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Chapter 19 of the classic series (after Himaruya attempted to relaunch it). It seems to be establishing a possible rivalry between Miyako and Azuki, but was never completed.
- PURE was intended to have at least three more chapters to its main storyline, but Himaruya put his attention back to the original series and deleted the page.
- The original Chapter 16 of the classic Kitakou series was removed from the site after a few pages, and included a plot moment where a woman is depicted being violently shot and killed on-panel, marking a rather dark moment for the otherwise campy series. The existing chapter 16 that replaced it is much different.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Wakasa wants Toyama, who is more into protecting Noto. Chako has a crush on Noto, who is oblivious to her. Iyuta loves Chako, but she doesn't feel the same way towards him (and everyone else thinks it's her brother that he loves).
- Hinaji starts out with a crush on Noto, which goes unrequited though he manages to later find someone else.
- Imari wants to be Matsukage's girlfriend, but is deterred by Shijimi and Hoki wanting to hang around him at all times. Little does she know that Ichizen bears a crush on her.
- Miyako is unable to find any boy who will return her feelings, most notably an upperclassman that she'd yearned for since junior high.
- Alternate Universe: Kitakou PURE, a parallel series written with the cast going to school in Yokohama, instead of Koriyama. This sets up the crossovers with Barjona Bombers.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Noto.
- Author Avatar: Fujiyuki Hamamatsu bears an uncanny resemblance to Himaruya's own self-portrait sketches.
- Big Brother Mentor: Ninja, aka Suzuka.
- Break the Cutie: After a lot of pressure and bullying, Noto winds up fully broken at some unspecified point in PURE.
- Character Development: Hinaji changes the most through the story, even eventually getting a girlfriend in the second series.
- Noto starts as a kind, yet meek and unlucky type of boy. An unseen incident finally causes him to be fed up with the way he's treated, and he evolves to being short-tempered, manipulative, and willing to humiliate others for his own amusement.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Wakasa is the Unlucky one to Toyama, while Toyama and Noto are Victorious to each other.
- Expy: Some of the characters resemble countries in Hetalia: Axis Powers or share similar personality traits. A number of them are also expies of Japanese prefecture personifications that Himaruya made while in high school (which he later re-introduced into Hetalia).
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Suzuka tends to be called "Ninja" and Hatoba is always called BigBoss. Chako Hamamatsu is mostly known to others by the nickname "Yun Yun".
- The Faceless: Ninja, subverted in later chapters, where he's unmasked, and in the parallel universe-set PURE where he doesn't wear the mask (yet is still unintelligible to strangers).
- Implausible Hair Color: Averted with Hinaji, since his hair is said to be dyed. Hatoba and Miyako are visibly blonde, though it's not mentioned whether their hair colors are natural or not. Ichigo and Koedo are two other blondes that appear in the cast, while Rinko's hair is often colored orange (at other times a light brown). Most other characters have hair colored black or in some shade of brown.
- Suzuka is shown to have bright red/orange hair when unmasked.
- Important Haircut: Miyako in PURE, when she finally lets go of her crush on an older boy. She proceeds to wear her hair in twintails afterwards.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Noto and Noto-sama, initially referred to by the respective nicknames of "White Noto" and "Black Noto" by Himaruya and fans. Noto can be reverted to his innocent self by the presence of Toyama, but he comes to resent this.
- Keet: Hinaji is the main example of one, but Shijimi Shimane and Ichizen Ameya also embody this character type.
- Sentai: Rinko is quite a fan of this, dubbing herself "Kitakou Pink" in her makeshift sentai group.
- Shout-Out: Isahaya gets plenty of Metal Gear ones.
- Show Within a Show: The Broadcasting Club makes a movie about a boy (played by Hinaji) who meets a girl(played by male Noto), and they seem to fall in love. Then, Hinaji's character is is captured by a thug (Isahaya), and when Noto finds him, Hinaji has been forced to confess his love to Isahaya. Isahaya confesses back just as Noto walks in. Noto is Squicked. The End.
- Tsundere: Miyako.
- The Unintelligible: Ninja goes "ngh ngh," and few people can understand him.
- Tira Sugusuku's Okinawan accent also renders her speech incomprehensible to others.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Noto.