Touka Aizuki would love nothing more than to be able to speak properly to her crush, Ryoutarou Mimori, the childhood friend from which she drifted apart. The problem is that every time she tries she tenses up and acts like a jerk to him. After a day of failed attempts to converse with him properly, she goes to bed wishing she could just disappear. The next morning, she realizes she's done just that and become invisible and inaudible to everyone around her. After the initial shock wears off, Touka begins gleefully exploiting the opportunities this gives her, which includes hovering as close as she wants to Ryoutarou with him none the wiser.
What Touka does not know is that there is, in fact, one person who can see through her invisibility: Ryoutarou. The only thing preventing him from revealing this fact is the knowledge that Touka would be horrifically embarrassed to learn he could see everything she did. This leaves Ryoutarou in the unenviable position of having to ignore Touka's invisibility while she's doing everything she can to get right in his face.
This is Suki x Suki (好きｘ透き) by Shunsuke Hibaru, which was serialized in Gangan Online from 2016 to 2017. The tale of an invisible girl oblivious to the fact that she can only be seen by the one she loves most.
Suki x Suki contains examples of:
- Double Standard: The entire concept of the manga is a huge one. If the roles were reversed and it was the male lead stalking and creeping on his female love interest while invisible, there would be zero sympathy for him. It's fine if it's an attractive female, though.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: In chapter four, Touka has a moment of angel and devil advising her when she believes another girl is going to give Ryoutarou cookies and confess her feelings to him. The devil advises snatching the cookies out of the girl's hands while invisible. The angel suggests Touka play fair and give Ryoutarou the cookies she made. She's prepared to invoke I Want My Beloved to Be Happy when the girl asks Ryoutarou to give them to a friend on her behalf.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: For all her stalkery tendencies, Touka is prepared to go this route in chapter four when it looks like a girl is going to confess her feelings to Ryoutarou.
- Once More, with Clarity!: The first chapter of the series proper is about Touka agonizing over her inability to be close to Ryoutarou and exploiting her invisibility to do just that. The second chapter shows these exact same events, but from Ryoutarou's viewpoint and show that several of his actions when Touka is invisible are reactions to her presence.
- Power Perversion Potential: The first thing Touka does upon confirming she's invisible and the initial shock wears off is look at a classmate's panties and comment on how risque they are. The pilot chapter and chapter three both show Touka using her invisibility to spy on Ryoutarou while he changes for gym class.
- Punny Name:
- The title takes advantage of two different versions of the word "suki". The left "suki" is written with the kanji for "love", while the right "suki" is written with the kanji for "transparency".
- The first kanji of "Touka" means "transparent." The "Ai" in "Aizuki" can be read as "love" and doubles up with the love and transparency meanings of "zuki/suki".
- The first kanji of Ryoutarou's surname, Mimori, means "to see".
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Touka is oblivious to the fact that Ryoutarou is able to see her while invisible. Ryoutarou, meanwhile, is determined to keep her in the dark for the sake of her own dignity.
- See the Invisible: Ryoutarou, the object of Touka's affections, is the one and only person who can see her while she gushes about how much she adores him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Touka is incapable of speaking to Ryoutarou properly when they're face to face. For this reason, the primary use of her invisibility is to follow him everywhere he goes gushing about how much she adores him, comfortable in the belief she can't be seen or heard.
- Thinking Out Loud: One of the ways Touka exploits her invisibility is by saying all the things she can't stand to say out loud when she's face to face with Ryoutarou because she thinks he can't hear her.
- Tsundere: Touka falls into the "Sweet" version of the trope. She's friendly to everybody except Ryoutarou, because being around Ryoutarou makes her so nervous. It's only when she's invisible she can be open about her feelings toward him.
- Visible Invisibility: Touka is drawn in much paler tones when invisible and parts of the background can be seen through her, giving her a transparent look.