Street Fighter Alpha, known as Street Fighter Zero in Japan, is a 2-volume manga adaptation of the Street Fighter Alpha series, specifically Alpha 1 and 2. It was released in 1995. UDON Comics republished the series in 2007.
The series takes place after the events of Street Fighter I, where Ryu has won the tournament but now feels directionless in life. After a confrontation with Interpol agent Chun-Li, Ryu discovers an evil force growing within him—the Satsui no Hado—and must learn to suppress it before it consumes him. Interpol recruits Ryu in their fight against the criminal syndicate Shadaloo, joined by the US Army agent Charlie Nash. Prompted by the mysterious Rose's fortune-telling, Ryu sets out to stop Shadaloo and find the two "men in red" who can help him master the force within him—his friend Ken Masters and Guy, a vigilante who travels around the world.
This series is notable for introducing Evil Ryu to the franchise.
This manga contains examples of:
- Avenging the Villain: Adon is determined to avenge Sagat's loss to Ryu.
- Beat the Curse Out of Him: Guy defeats Evil Ryu in a fight, letting the normal Ryu regain control.
- Blood Sport: Vega hosts an underground fighting tournament with lethal combat.
- Butt-Monkey: Dan loses every fight he participates in.
- The Corruption: Ryu spends much of the series trying to avoid giving in to the Satsui no Hado.
- Death by Adaptation: Eagle, a then-minor character in the games who would later return, is killed by Adon.
- Descending Ceiling: Vega's arena is rigged so if more than two fighters fight at a time the ceiling will lower and crush them.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: After defeating Sagat, Ryu feels directionless and wonders what to do with his life.
- Dub Name Change: The English manga calls the Satsui no Hado the Dark Hadou.
- Laser-Guided Tyke-Bomb: Cammy is the result of genetic manipulation, and is superior to most fighters despite her young age. She nearly kills Dan before Sodom intervenes.
- Nerves of Steel: Sakura stands up to Bison, even before she's into the whole "street fighting" business.
- Running Both Sides: Shadaloo runs the top branches of the U.S. Army to ensure it avoids being brought down.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Evil Ryu gives Ryu a healing factor and enhanced speed and strength at the cost of making him evil and attacking anyone indiscriminately.
- Tarot Troubles: Rose's fortune-telling guides Ryu to two men in red who can help him master the Satsui no Hado, who he believes to be Ken and Guy.