Taking a spin from Genshiken and its chronicle about the daily life of a group of Otaku and their different cultures, in 2009 Shimoku Kio brought Spotted Flower to serialization, it tells the story of a newlywed couple: a hard working husband that used to be a hardcore otaku and still carry some traits of it, and his pregnant wife that learned to put up with her spouses hobbies but nevertheless loving him for what he is and eagerly waiting for their child to be born.
Spotted Flower is serialized in Rakuen Le Paradis, a Josei magazine from publisher Hakusensha, the series is published in a Four-monthly schedule, three short (6 to 8 pages) chapters per year.
This series provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: Whether unintentional or deliberately highlighting the parallels it shares with Genshiken, the Husband has progressively started looking like Madarame.
- Cast of Expies: Of several characters from Genshiken.
- The Husband is one for Madarame and the Wife is one for Kasukabe.
- A new character introduced in Chapter 7, who is a new mother and speaks to Wife as an old friend, bears a striking resemblance to Ohno.
- Chapter 12 has a former university club underclassman of the Husband, who's now a famous adult manga artist and doujinshi creator, hinted at having a thing for the Husband, and is a transgender woman. Essentially an older Hato.
- A surly, bespectacled, formerly overweight woman is shown helping the above underclassman at a Comifes in Chapter 12.5. Like a slimmed down Yajima.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: The Wife, she learned to enjoy cosplaying as time went by; although she can get angry when the Husband only happens to be in the mood when she's cosplaying, reasoning that the character she represents might be above her in the Husband's mind.
- Cute Little Fangs: The Husband.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: It turns out the Husband is extremely insecure about his treatment by his wife and his peers, perceiving them as patronizing him and walking on egg shells around him. It blows up when he decides to have sex with his underclassman for comfort, because at least it's a decision he made for himself.
- Give Geeks a Chance: What the Wife did and likes to make the Husband remember that so he can be more confident in himself, despite being a hardore otaku, he got a girlfriend, had sex with her, they married, and now she's is expecting their child.
- I Should Write a Book About This: The mangaka and her girlfriend decide to use The Husband's affair with the former as fuel for their next BL work.
- Nerd Nanny: What the Wife once was according to her, but now she knows all of her husband hobbies and learned to put up with them, she actively supports his lifestyle as long as he doesn't put that above her.
- No Name Given: The Husband, the Wife and Grandma, no names for them.
- No Pregger Sex: Almost averted when the Wife puts on a shimapan, but she gets too angry with him to continue on.
- Otaku: the Husband, although he's more casual than he used to be; also the Wife is pretty knowledgeable on the subject, and her ex-boyfriend is one.
- Shout-Out: There are some topics during the Wife and Husband conversations that borrow from events from Genshiken itself:
- The Wife saying things like she and the Husband used to be part of a club for otakus, that she was caught in the middle of 2 of them, and that she doesnt want to see her ex-boyfriend by meeting with the group again.
- The Husband owning some S&M porn in addition to his anime-only porn; Madarame used this to cover up his otaku preferences only for anime porn, adding some real porn to even things out in other people's eyes.
- The couple decides to let the wife's grandmother name their child and she lists names from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. This is a reference to a chapter in Genshiken where an anonymous tip told Saki that a rival club says that she has an otaku name. Saki laments because it was her grandmother who gave her that name. Turns out the grandmother purposely picked names from anime series and games, including the aforementioned Madoka as well as YuruYuri.
- In chapter 20, when The Grandmother says she wants to name the child Saki, The Husband thinks of the titular character of Saki
- Yaoi Fangirl/Guy-on-Guy Is Hot: The mangaka's girlfriend is this. After the mangaka told her about The Husband having a one night stand with her, and that the Husband was the one penetrated, her girlfriend ignores all the less important details of that and focuses on how hot it was for the Huband to be anally taken.