Nozomi Onda is in her second year on the middle school soccer team but has yet to play a single game because she is a girl. Growing up playing soccer, she has the technical skills, endurance and the elegance. However, as a girl, she can't overcome the physical difference between them and she can see all her teammates who she grew up playing soccer with getting further and further away from her. Even her younger brother, Junpei, who is also on the team, is starting to rise above her. Her sensei knows that Nozomi is an amazing player but since soccer is such a physical sport for boys, he can't let her play. Nozomi isn't the kind of girl that gives up so instead she practices harder than anyone in the hopes of one day playing in an official game.
The first published work by manga author Naoshi Arakawa of Your Lie in April fame. Arakawa would go on to continue Nozomi Onda's story in Farewell, My Dear Cramer, though with Nozomi no longer as the primary focal character.
Sayonara Football is a shonen sports manga by Naoshi Arakawa, creator of Your Lie in April, and published digitally in English by Kodansha Comics USA.
Sayonara Football contains
- Asleep in Class: Who else? Onda
- Determinator: She plays soccer even if she'll never actually play in an official match
- Japanese School Club: It's a soccer club
- Junior High: They are in their second year of school
- Meaningful Name: Nozomi means 'rare or seldom' in Japanese
- Passionate Sports Girl: This defines Onda, she lives to play soccer
- Second Year Protagonist: See Junior High
- Sweet Polly Oliver:She tied up her brother and cut her hair to take his place. Need I say more?
- Training Montage: There's a page where Onda trains because she thinks it'll convince her coach to let her play
- Unwanted Harem: Not that she knows it of course, but her childhood friends all have a crush on her Namekku confesses in the last chapter after her school lost
- You Go, Girl!: She has the technical skill to outplay the boys, its just that they are physically superior than her