1582, Honnoji Temple, the Sengoku Jidai. Oda Nobunaga has been betrayed by Akechi Mitsuhide. As Honnoji Temple burns around him, the legendary warlord opines he wouldn't mind being reincarnated, even if he came back as a dog.
The feared Nobunaga is now Cinnamon, a Shiba Inu living in modern day Japan and owned by teenage girl Ichiko. But he's not alone. Other warlords like Takeda Shingen, Sanada Yukimura and Uesugi Kenshin have been reincarnated as pooches as well. Now the famed figures of the Sengoku Era spend their days doing typical dog things and talking about their time as humans.
Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga is a debut Slice of Life and Sengoku Period trivia comedy manga from creator Una Megurogawa, serialized in Monthly Comic Zenon since 2014. It has ended on August 25th, 2021.
Received an anime adaptation during the Winter 2020 season, which can be watched on Crunchyroll.
- Berserk Button: Whatever you do, don't mention that Nobunaga's feet smelled.
- Big Eater: Ichiko is a bottomless pit for snacks. Leading to her porking up during the winter months.
- The Big Guy: Kenshin, courtesy of being reincarnated as the very large Borzoi breed, towers over the others who came back as smaller breeds.
- Casting Gag: This isn't the first time Tesshō Genda has voiced Takeda Shingen. Only now instead of his ax-swinging Sengoku Basara version, this one is a perverted Pomeranian.
- Friendly Enemy: Being that almost 500 years have gone by and they can't do much as dogs, many of the reincarnated warlords are cool with their Sengoku era enemies now.
- Fujoshi: Ichiko's friend Ai is a gigantic fan of guy-guy romance.
- Keet: Sanada Yukimura adores being a dog, and can't speak a sentence without laughing.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others:
- All the warlords have been reincarnated as dogs...and then there's Mitshuhide. Who has returned as a squirrel.
- Lily is a reincarnation like the others, but instead of being a Sengoku era figure, she's the former queen of France Marie Antoinette.
- Ota Gyuichi was reincarnated as a stinkbug, then he died again and came back as an ant, then he died again and came back as a steak, then he died again, and heaven only knows what he'll come back as next.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Ota Gyuichi, a minor Sengoku era figure most famous for chronicling Nobunaga after his death, is among the reincarnated. And being reincarnated as things like a stinkbug, an ant, and meat, tends to die after one scene.