He's going nowhere in life. He's a grown man still in middle school, mooching off his mother in his rustic mountain hometown. The only things he cares about are himself and his pretty schoolteacher, Reiko.
All that changes when he's dragged off to find a job, and crosses some men from a traveling Sumo troupe. One ass beating later, he storms off to get his revenge. Thus begins his unlikely entry into the world of Sumo Wrestling.
Notari Matsutarou ("Carefree Matsutarou") is a sports manga by Tetsuya Chiba, which was serialized from 1973 to 1998 in the seinen magazine Big Comic. It received several OVA's in the early 90's and an eventual full anime series in the spring of 2014, and is simulcasted on Crunchyroll. The anime is called Abarenbō Rikishi!! Matsutarō ("Rowdy Wrestler Matsutaro").
- Achievements in Ignorance: During episode 9, Matsutarou keeping the rookies out all night, partying and stuffing themselves with finger food inadvertently leads to a clean sweep during the matches the next day. Except for Tanaka.
- Arranged Marriage: Reiko of all people. Which eventually leads to Matsutarou admitting his feelings for her and getting turned down.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Tanaka is typically a quiet doormat. But when he gets sufficiently frightened, he becomes a nigh-unstoppable wrecking machine.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: To go with the copious hair everywhere else on his body, Ino-Zeki has some giant, bushy eyebrows.
- Big Ol' Unibrow: Matsutarou is a huge Type I.
- Bittersweet Ending: Episode 23. Matsutarou has moved on from his heartbreak and has his passion for sumo reignited. But he loses his match against Kondo and is expelled from the stable due to his fight with Tatsu.
- Butt-Monkey: Pretty much everyone who has to put up with Matsutarou and his behavior.
- Foil: Matsutarou's comes in the form of Kondo, who is everything he isn't. A technical wrestler, good looking guy and one who respects the traditions of Sumo.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Matsutarou has temper ready to go off at the faintest of reasons.
- Held Back in School: Despite being an adult, Matsutarou still hasn't graduated from middle school due to his laziness.
- Hot for Teacher: Matsutarou and his huge crush on Reiko.
- Invincible Hero: The reason Matsutaro always wins is because he's just stronger than everyone else.
- Jerkass: Matsutarou is this and then some.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Ino-Zeki of all people, with his good luck charm/pet White Star.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Matsutarou is close to giving up sumo altogether after his heartbreak. Then Tatsu and his crew show up to beat him up and prevent him from competing in the Juryou promotion match. Not only does he kick their asses, but this actually revives his passion for sumo.
- Pet the Dog: Episode 15 is a huge bit of this for Matsutarou. Who gives his championship money to his mom, and generally acts like a decent person for a change.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Matsutarou, with his loud and boisterous nature, is this to the meek and inept Tanaka.
- Spoiler Title: "Tanaka's First Victory". Guess what happens in that episode...
- Sunglasses at Night: Ino-Zeki only removes his shades when he's in the ring.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Matsutarou has a resounding lack of skill, but makes up for it by hitting like a loaded freight train.
- Worf Had the Flu: Matsutarou's fight with Kondo in episode 23. Which he only loses cause of a combination of exhaustion and the beating he got from Tatsu and his boys.