Maya's Funeral Procession is a Girls' Love manga from The '70s. Naïve Everygirl Reina and her family go to their summer house for vacation, when people start dying one by one. Reina also falls in love with her mysterious neighbor, Maya. But who is Maya really, and how does she know so much about Reina's family?
This manga provides examples of:
- Arranged Marriage: Reina is arranged to marry Taku, but is reluctant to do so.
- Broken Bird: Maya lost her parents in the same fire that left her horrifically scarred, and her older sister has raised her solely for the purpose of revenge.
- Bury Your Gays: Maya, as was common for Girls' Love manga in the Seventies.
- Downer Ending: Maya commits suicide and Reina is married to someone she doesn't love.
- Driven to Suicide: Maya stays behind in the burning house, and makes no attempt to save herself.
- Expy: The two leads look and act nearly identical to Resine and Simone from Shiroi Heya no Futari.
- Girls' Love: It's a manga about the tragic love affair that blossoms between Maya and Reina.
- Ill Girl: Maya occasionally collapses from severe headaches, and bears the scars from the fire that killed her parents.
- Like Brother and Sister: One-sided - Reina sees Taku as the brother she never had, but he wants to marry her.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Reina - her father is a workaholic, and her mother seems more interested in her pet cat than she is in her own daughter.
- One Head Taller: Maya is taller than Reina.
- Revenge: Maya's older sister encourages her to get close to Reina for this purpose.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Not only are Reina and Maya half-sisters, Maya commits suicide shortly after the reveal.
- Surprise Incest: Maya and Reina turn out to be half-sisters.
- Woman Scorned: Reina's mother took part in the murder of Maya's parents because Maya's father got her pregnant then cast her aside.