The story takes place 300 years after a catastrophe took down modern civilization. The world is full of chaos, and in this chaos a group of people called "Madness" emerged; their objective was to cause strife and kill people. The group disbanded after their leader, Kyo, was left for dead. But Kyo did not die; he was imprisoned in a church and became amnesic. He escapes his bonds when his memory returns, and decides to take the priest, Izaya, as a hostage and go out in the world as a bounty hunter.
This manga contains examples of the following tropes:
- Artificial Human: Amane is a Ridiculously Human Robot that is capable of feeling emotions.
- Attempted Rape: The way that Izaya is almost initiated into prostitution.
- Big Sister Instinct: Miyabi is very protective of Izaya.
- Corrupt Church: The Church of St. Luka/Ruka created the Madness chip for the people to rely on the Church.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Izaya is very girly looking and is even mistaken in-universe as a girl.
- Fanservice: There's the requisite Boys' Love fan service, but weirdly enough there also seems to be more fan service for hetero guys(or lesbians) since Miyabi acts as Ms. Fanservice.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Izaya full stop.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Miyabi. Her first scene has her saving Izaya from a pimp by offering herself in his place.
- Hot for Preacher:
- Kyo is in love with Izaya who is a priest.
- Miyabi was also in love with Eremiya.
- Hot Scientist:
- Kai, an ally of Madness, is a doctor and a scientist.
- Daria, Izaya's oldest brother, who is the one who created the the Madness chip.
- Love Makes You Crazy: The reason why Amane leaked the information of where Kyo and co. are is because he thought that Kai was in love with Miyabi. It turns that he was testing Miyabi's skin to see it's still good enough to remove and graph it on Amane.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Izaya has been molested by a pimp and Sae due to his looks.