The first manga adaptation in the Love Live! franchise, which began serialization in the January 2012 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine. It is written by Sakurako Kimino and illustrated by Arumi Tokita.
It follows the formation and adventures of the group µ's (pronounced "muse"), a school idol group which is started to try and save their school, Otonokizaka Academy, from closing due to lack of new students.
Contains examples of:
- Adaptation Personality Change:
- Nico is more laid-back compared to the anime, where she is a lot more jaded.
- Nozomi is more peppy and bubbly from the start compared to her more serene air in the anime.
- Eli is a lot warmer from the start compared to the anime, where she is a Defrosting Ice Queen.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul:
- Eli is a childhood friend of Honoka, Umi, and Kotomi, instead of first meeting them in high school.
- Eli and Nozomi first meet during the series, instead of having been friends prior to the start.
- Alternate Continuity: The manga is its own continuity, with some differences compared to the later anime adaptation. Among others:
- Honoka is originally a member of the kendo club alongside Umi.
- Nozomi is originally the sole member of the supernatural appreciation society instead of being student council vice president.
- Nico is originally working at a maid cafe instead of being idol research club president.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: When a character is shown having a shower or bath scene, their unclothed parts are blank and featureless.
- Censor Steam: Used during Umi's Shower Scene.
- Cheeky Mouth: Character's mouths appear on their cheeks when they're viewed in profile. The end of chapter 15 has a grin appear on Nozomi's cheek as she faces away from the reader.
- Commonality Connection: Nico sympathizes with Maki because they are both Otonoki students who would rather be at UTX. For Maki, her parents forcibly enrolled her at Otonoki even though she wanted to go to UTX, saying it would be good for her life experiences. For Nico, she is unable to afford UTX's tuition.
- Expressive Hair: When Nico and Maki spot Eli while scouting for potential club members, Nico's pigtails rise and she claims she's getting an alert.
- Hotter and Sexier: This adaptation features much more fanservice than the anime, which barely had any fanservice.
- Jumped at the Call: Unlike her anime counterpart, Rin immediately joins when Honoka starts the idol group.
- Oddly Small Organization: At the start of the series, Nozomi is the only active member of the supernatural phenomenon research society.
- Sherlock Homage: When Nico and Maki are scouting for potential club members, they wear deerstalkers and carry magnifying glasses.
- Ship Tease:
- In chapter 6, Eli leans in close to Honoka as the latter gets worked up, saying that if she doesn't calm down she'll have to give her a kiss.
- In chapter 9, Eli gropes Nozomi's chest as she sizes her up as idol club material.
- In chapter 13, Honoka and Umi end up close face-to-face and Umi kisses Honoka's cheek, making her blush.
- In chapter 16, Honoka falls on Eli and they have a close interaction reminiscent of a near-Love Confession. Nico refers to Umi as a rival in this situation.