Limit is a manga written by Keiko Suenobu. Its original run was from 2009 to 2011 and it had 6 volumes.
Mizuki Konno is your typical high school junior at Yanno Prefectual High School. Like many teens her age she is studying hard for college and when she has some down time she likes to fuss over fashion and make-up. While she may not be one of the class elites, Mizuki is fortunate to be on the right side of her class's idols. But that might not settle well with those who are in a similar academic status but not so lucky with their social lives.
Limit contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: A bus full of kids falls off a cliff, killing all but six of them. The ones who survive fight and kill each other, mentally torture each other, and the rescue teams can find literally nothing when they go searching for the children. The parents of said children can't do anything but sit and wait.
- Always Second Best: Haru sees herself as always second to Konno, no matter how hard she tries.
- Character Development: Konno changes from someone who cared mostly about herself and looked down on people who were "weaker" than her to a much more sympathetic character who tries to understand the people around her better in order to not accidentally hurt them like she did with Haru.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Morishige was (and would still be had the crash not happened) the victim of abuse at home. Part of why she's so intent on being in control all the time and why she was so afraid of Hinata.
- Konno was the victim of some pretty harsh bullying in middle school after trying to stick up for her friend who ended up betraying her anyways, which just makes her treatment of Morishige all the worse.
- Establishing Character Moment: The entire opening sequence is to establish Konno's character, what her view of the world is and why she acts the way she acts.
- We get two more right after the bus crash. First, we get Morishige's character by her reaction to Sakura's death and her actions towards the other characters. After that we get shown Kamiya's by her lack of emotion, be it fear or happiness, at the death of HER ENTIRE CLASS.
- Hinata gets one via Konno's flashbacks and the other characters' reactions to his arrival.
- Flash Back: Used to tell backstory. Most notable is when it's used to tell about Konno's backstory.
- Forced Prize Fight: Morishige sharpens a stick and throws it to Haru and Konno telling them to fight to decide who will be the slave.
- Heroic BSoD: Happens to Haru a few times but the most obvious is right before she crosses the Despair Event Horizon after being accused of murdering Usui.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Konno tries to do this for Haru to keep her from becoming the slave, except it doesn't work. Instead, Morishige praises her for her sacrifice and makes Haru the slave, just to mess with her.
- Improbably Female Cast: Every main character is female, at least until Hinata shows up.
- Liar Revealed: When Hinata reveals that he's the one who killed Usui and has been telling lie after lie to try to cover it up. And yet somehow you still feel sympathetic towards him.
- Plot Armor: Konno manages to survive a bus crash, drowning, and attempted murder (on multiple occasions). The other characters aren't so lucky.
- The Quiet One: Morishige was the quiet loner in the class. Then Sakura died and her personality completely changed.
- Snowball Lie: Hinata's whole story. He starts out by saying that he never ran into Usui or anybody else when, in fact, he did and was responsible for her death. He then tells more lies to cover up that one and more to cover up those. Kamiya is the one to eventually call him on it after he mentions the bandage on Usui's leg. She asks him how he knew about the bandage if he never saw Usui. After he's caught trying to kill Konno, he gives up entirely on trying to pretend that he's innocent. He explains to them about meeting Usui in the woods and accidentally killing her and about taking the scythe. It actually becomes a bit of a Tear Jerker moment when you realize he really did want to be a nice guy and help them all go home together.
- The Social Darwinist: Sakura has this worldview, flat-out stating she doesn't consider everyone to be equal and looking down on anyone who is "weaker". This is how she justifies her bullying of Morishige and general Alpha Bitch antics. Konno buys into her philosophy as well at first.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Hinata, who initially didn't even intend to kill anyone (the first death he's responsible for, namely Usui's, was accidental) and genuinely wants to help the other survivors, only to go off the deep end out of fear and shame when his Snowball Lie of a cover-up catches up with him.
- We Just Need to Wait for Rescue: Kamiya says this is the only thing they can do in their current situation.