Gokicha chronicles the adventures of the title character, a cockroach who moved to Hokkaido in order to make friends with humans. Unfortunately, while the audience sees Gokicha as a cute cockroach girl, the humans around her see her as, well, an actual cockroach, and react accordingly.
Her sort-of-best-friend is fellow cockroach Chaba.
- Alternate Continuity: The doujin and 4-koma take slightly different paths; in the doujin, Gokicha meets Chaba while travelling to Hokkaido by train, while in the 4-koma, Gokicha arrives by boat, and meets Chaba after spending a while in Hokkaido. The web animation follows the doujin.
- Big Fun: Chocolate, Gokicha's cat friend.
- Butt-Monkey: Gokicha. On the one hand, she is a cockroach, so it's understandable, but on the other, seeing the kind of violence humans normally deliver to cockroaches delivered to a Little Bit Beastly cockroach girl makes things rather more distressing.
- Cats Are Mean: Played straight then averted with Chocolate.
- Creepy Cockroach: Chaba and Gokicha avert this, but humans still treat them as pests anyway (as they're not in on the audience's perspective).
- Does Not Like Shoes: Well, not so much "not like" as they don't know the concept of them. They're roaches after all.
- Hammerspace: Gokicha can store a lot in her dress, including items bigger than her.
- Hidden Eyes: The part-timer lady, a recurring character, has them. A subversion, since she doesn't have any kind of emotional distress while she is in that state, but...
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: When her eyes ARE visible, Gokicha must run.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Gokicha's main goal.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Chaba.
- Little Bit Beastly: How Gokicha and Chaba usually look to the audience: humans with two antennae and hair shaped like a cockroach's tegmina.
- Mouse World
- Neat Freak: Gokicha. This pisses off Chaba to no end. This is actually a Genius Bonus and Truth in Television: A little-known fact about roaches is that they clean themselves obsessively, similar to cats. Naturally they're not known to clean up their environments, but it's not hard to imagine that one might try if they were Little Bit Beastly cockroach moe girls.
- Punny Name: Gokicha is a play on "Gokiburi," meaning "Cockroach", and Chaba is an abbreviation of "Chabane" — "Chabane Gokiburi" means "German Cockroach," which she is.
- Sliding Scale of Animal Communication: Level 3. Cockroaches have their own language, but can't be heard by humans.
- The Pollyanna: Gokicha. So much.
- Level 4. Gokicha can communicate precise ideas to Chocolat
- The Prankster: Chaba loves to scare humans.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chaba and Gokicha respectively.
- They also have some elements of Red Oni, Blue Oni. Amusingly, Gokicha (the blue) has red eyes while Chaba (the red) has blue eyes.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Inverted. Chaba and Gokicha are cockroaches portrayed as cute humanoid girls.