Given (ギヴン; Givun) is a yaoi manga written and illustrated by Natsuki Kizu that began in 2013. Currently ongoing with 5 volumes, it is serialized in Cheri+.
High schooler Ritsuka Uenoyama is the electric guitarist for a band composed of himself, bassist Haruki Nakayama, and drummer Akihiko Kaji. He becomes a reluctant guitar teacher to Mafuyu Sato, a shy classmate, after repairing the broken strings on Mafuyu's Gibson ES-330. While Ritsuka is initially baffled by why Mafuyu always carries the guitar around despite having absolutely no idea how to play it, he soon discovers that Mafuyu is an exceptionally talented singer, and invites him to join the band.
A Drama CD based on the first volume was released on February 25, 2016. Second, third, and fourth drama CDs based on the corresponding volumes were released on January 25, 2017; January 26, 2018; and November 22, 2018, respectively.
Tropes present in Given include:
- 3DEffects2DCartoon: The anime tends to use CGI when the characters are playing music, but only with their hands as they play their instruments; the rest of their bodies are still traditionally animated.
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime adds some extra scenes that weren't in the manga.
- Bland-Name Product: The anime adaptation does this with several real-life bands; a young Ritsuka is seen listening to an Artistic Monkeys CD, and a pair of BIONANA posters feature prominently on the wall of the rehearsal studio.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Unsurprisingly for the genre, most of the guys are pretty good-looking.
- Close on Title: The episodic title cards appear before the end credits.
- Driven to Suicide: Yuuki, Mafuyu's childhood friend and boyfriend, committed suicide before the story starts. This greatly affected Mafuyu and is largely the reason why he's so withdrawn.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: With the exception of episode 9 (which is named after the original song performed in that episode), each episode of the anime is named after a real world song, primarily from Alternative Rock groups. In order, they are:
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Mafuyu's pet Pomeranian. There's a reason its name is Kedama (which means "furball").
- Sick Episode: Downplayed. Mafuyu gets sick for a part of episode 10, but recovers soon enough.
- Temporal Theme Naming: Each of the four band members' given names contain kanji related to one of the four seasons.
- Mafuyu's name (真冬) has the kanji for "winter" (冬).
- Ritsuka's name (立夏) has the kanji for "summer" (夏).
- Haruki's name (春樹) has the kanji for "spring" (春).
- Akihiko's name (秋彦) has the kanji for "fall" (秋).
- Title Drop: In episode 10, the band decides to rename themselves into "Given" as a tribute to the guitar given to Mafuyu by Yuuki.