GDGD-DOGS is a manga series by Ema Toyama.
When a professional manga course is launched in Tokiwa High School, fifteen-year-old Kanna Tezuka is happy to be able to draw manga. The last thing she wants is for people to notice her manga because her shojo manga projects are actually being published in a magazine and she's currently trying to boost her manga's rank, but when three boys—Akatsuka Mitsuo, Fujio Fujio, and Shouta Dan Naisen—appear and stumble upon her secret, Kanna may have quite a dilemma on her hands.
Published in the US as Manga Dogs by Kodansha Comics.
This series provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Fujio Fujio.
- Bishounen: Akatsuka, Fujio, and Shouta.
- Blackmail: Kanna fears that Akatsuka, Fujio, and Shouta are going to blackmail her after discovering her secret. They really want her to teach them how to draw manga.
- Blinding Bangs: Kanna.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Deadpan Snarker: Kanna, when narrating.
- Dub Name Change: Downplayed with Fujio, whose surname was changed from Fuji to Fujio.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Another Ema Toyama blond male example, reminiscent of Teru from Koko Ni Iru Yo.
- Hypocritical Humor: Kanna is disgusted when she comes across a lovey-dovey couple in spite of the fact that she writes shojo manga, often pertaining to relationships.
- Keet: Akatsuka.
- Lampshade Hanging:Kanna: [narrating] Who am I talking to...? Myself?
- Little Miss Snarker: Kanna when narrating or thinking.
- Meaningful Name: Akatsuka Mitsuo means "idiot genius" in Japanese, though Akatsuka is quick to tell Kanna that he isn't one. Fujio Fujio means "getting shot even when you're sleeping," and Shouta's surname Dan Naisen means "father of fake masked night."
- Named After Somebody Famous: The main four are named after famous classic mangaka:
- Kanna herself has the surname of the Father of Manga himself, Osamu Tezuka.
- Mitsuo is named after Fujio Akatsuka, the "king of gag manga". His name translating out to "idiot genius" is also a sly reference to Akatsuka's most famous gag manga, Tensai Bakabon.
- Fujio is named after the duo Fujiko Fujio, most famous for their work on Doraemon.
- Shouta's name is based on Shotaro Ishinomori, best known as the creator of Kamen Rider.
- Megane: Fujio.
- Postmodernism: A manga about manga.
- Say It with Hearts: Kanna has a tendency to talk like this sometimes.
- Shrinking Violet: Kanna, when it comes to people seeing her manga.
- The Smurfette Principle
- Take That!:Kanna: Are you kidding me...? I hate, hate getting along with others... Especially these stupid handsome faces that attract all kinds of girls. Gross!
- Tempting Fate: As Kanna glees at the fact that since everyone's so wrapped up in their own manga that she can draw in peace in fear of getting her manga noticed, three boys appear right behind her.
- Wish Fulfillment
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Kanna.