It is a comedy with several erotic touches, where the protagonist Suke Banji (or Sukeban) has to disguise himself as a girl in order to be able to attend an all-female school.
As Suke Ban is a rebellious boy, this situation creates several comedic troubles.
Tropes featured in the manga and anime:
- Covers Always Lie: Ever notice ADV Films' VHS cover for the film? The actual film is a high school comedy, and the VHS cover makes it look like a Darker and Edgier action piece.
- Martial Arts and Crafts: In the anime, Suke Banji winds up getting all sorts of challenges from rivals, including the infamous Pantyhose Brigade.
- Reality Ensues: The climactic showdown at the end of the second part of the film shows the consequences of attempting some outlandish martial arts moves with nothing but dirt under your feet. Specifically, one of Suke Banji's opponents suffocates to death while attempting a spinning throw move (apparently, the many rotations involved caused him to dig himself into the ground and bury himself alive), and a grieving relative is shown removing his body from the scene afterwards.
- Teen Pregnancy: Banji's mother had him in her early teens, explicitly stated in dialogue.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Suke Banji.