Ichiko Hanamori (nicknamed "Wanko" by her peers, which means "puppy") is a mystery to the rest of the members of Police Headquarters 1st Division, Crime Enforcement Squad 6. She's ditzy, not too bright, and has strange habits: Not only does she dress in Elegant Gothic Lolita fashion, but she's constantly sniffing around. Literally. Who on Earth made her a police detective?
As it turns out, Wanko's sense of smell is akin to that of a dog's. That's how she's able to solve crimes: by sniffing the ground, sniffing the suspects, and sniffing the air. However, as gifted as she is, she's still a rookie, so she needs someone to train her, which results in a game of who can push her off to someone else the fastest. Hot-Blooded detective Kirishima, who was asleep during the decision-making, ends up with her.
This page needs love!
Deka Wanko contains examples of the following tropes:
- The Cameo: Tetsu and Fuji from Gokusen make an appearance in the chapter about the police dogs.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Not only the main cast of the series has a distinctive appearance (which are either gonks or bishounen), even the common people (and suspects, and victims) look entirely different from each other. A common feature in many of Kozueko Morimoto's series.
- Cool Old Guy: Mah Mah-Mah is loved by everyone.
- Locked Room Mystery: The detectives take on a case where a woman fell to her death from her veranda. It's considered as a suicide at first because the front door of her apartment was locked.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: From the second case presented in the series, the elderly people (the former head of the Yatsuji's family and her servants,with exception of the driver) from the Yatsuji's manor are in their late 80s or earlier 90s. Don't let their appearance fool you, though as they all were the accomplices of the Kouji Murata's murder case.
- Mythology Gag: The Nekomata-kumi where Kouji Murata was a former member, was previously mentioned and featured in Gokusen, as a rival mafia clan to the Kuroda and they were disbanded after they were ambushed by Kumiko.
- Offscreen Breakup: Kirishima's girlfriend apparently broke up with him when he was in the hospital.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Komatsubara ended up being kidnapped because a beautiful girl was being held hostage.
- Overly Long Name: One of the most trustful police dogs of the police headquarters is named Prince "Michael Vaughn Art Obbenbauer Gou".
- The Stakeout: Just part of their job as detectives.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Many of the suspects, when pressured by Squad 6, often slip specific details that they were never asked in the first place. For example — Manabu Takahashi (the first culprit that was captured by Wanko in the squad) mentioning a murder case that happened two years prior his kidnapping attempt, which he was never a suspect for.
- Unknown Rival:
- Wanko and Michael are each other's greatest rivals.
- The Gorilla Hunter is this for a while, though he and his comrades become known fairly quickly.
- They Fight Crime!: Wanko and Kirishima couldn't be more different — about the only thing they have in common is that they wear whatever they want to work.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Shige tells Mah Mah-Mah that he's too pure for this filthy world.
- You Killed My Father: The Gorilla Hunter turns out to be the younger brother of a criminal who died trying to escape from Monma.