Unohana Mashiro was always capable of seeing things that weren't human, at least until she ends up being recruited by the Boundary Preservation Society which specializes in handling the boundary between life and death. She is also made the master of one of the noman "no man can normally see) named Bazu.
The manga concluded with its fourteenth chapter on September 12, 2020.
The manga provides examples of:
- Berserk Button: Mashiro does not like being called "short stuff." Which is why Bazu loves resorting to it.
- Bittersweet Ending: Mashiro is able to make peace with her older sister which allows her to finally pass on. However, Mashiro loses her ability to see nomans; Bazu leaves after accomplishing her desire to know humans more deeply; Mashiro resigns from her job after she lost her ability; and Chitose also leaves with Mashiro being unable to see her off. But the only positive is that Mashiro does reunite with Bazu who had been reincarnated into a human girl years later.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Bazu was once a crow who was taken care of by a human after getting injured. When she decided to go back to check up on her, another human grabbed her and cut off her wings and feet. She then became a noman based on her encounters with humans.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Bazu tends to get offended when Mashiro expresses concern for her.
- Extreme Doormat: Mashiro tends to let her classmates give her tasks due to her kindness. Baku herself finds herself getting repulsed by this.
- I See Dead People: Mashiro's talent.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Nomans are the souls of people or animals that had remained in the transient world after death. They are divided into two classes considering how dangerous they potentially were. Grade B noman are the more dangerous and maintain their forms by consuming souls. Grade X noman (which is Bazu's ranking) do not recklessly steal souls and are incapable of entering Heaven. The Boundary Preservation Society handle them through special conditions hence how Mashiro became Bazu's master. However, there also exists Grade A Noman that are potentially more powerful.
- Reincarnation: Chapter 14 shows that Bazu was reborn as a human girl after she no longer had any lingering attachments.
- Tragic Bigot: While she knows that there are good humans, Bazu dislikes mankind because of her being tortured to death by one. She eventually sheds this later in the manga.
- Tsundere: Bazu is initially annoyed with having to be saddled with Mashiro, but she gradually grows to value her.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 11 reveals that Mashiro's sister actually remained in the human world as a Grade A Noman.