Crows is a Japanese high school delinquent manga series by Hiroshi Takahashi. The story begins when Harumichi Bōya transfers into the second year at Suzuran High School. Suzuran is notorious for its delinquent students who are nicknamed 'Crows' because of their dark uniforms and inauspicious nature. Quickly enough Bōya meets a group centered around Hiromi Kirishima who are trying to challenge the school boss Hideto Bandō. From there the story follows the exploits of Suzuran students and the teen-aged delinquents of various surrounding schools and gangs.
The series was adapted into two episode OVA by Knack Productions which cover the first three volumes of the manga. Spawned three live-action films: Crows Zero in 2007, Crows Zero 2 in 2009 whom are both directed by Takashi Miike, and Crows Explode (directed by Toshiaki Toyoda) in 2014. The films are not direct adaptations but take place before the events of the manga. Several characters from the manga appear in the movies but not the main character Bōya.
Hiroshi Takahashi also wrote a continuation called Worst, which ran in Monthly Shounen Champion from 2002 to 2013. In 2019, the series had a live action crossover with the similarly gang themed High&Low franchise for its fifth film installment, HiGH&LOW: The Worst. That movie takes place some time after the main series, following a new generation of Hosen Academy characters as they go up against SWORD's Oya High School.
Tropes found in both manga and movies:
- Anime Hair: Not in a very exaggerated tone, but most of them comes across having messy, heavily spiked or even stylish hairdo.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tsukishima Hana is polite, friendly, and will always help everyone in needs. He also has a deadly uppercut, and will certainly beat you up if you mess with him or his friends. Oh. and he is also the first Boss Of Suzuran.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Harumichi Bouya is a goofy perverted idiot. but pushed him to far, and you're as good as dead.
- The Dreaded: Rindaman. Even though he never take sides with anybody in the group aside from standing idly by watching the conflicts, he's still actually the force to be reckon with.
- Japanese Delinquents: The casts of the Hiroshi Takahashi mangas Crows and Worst are almost entirely composed of delinquents, specifically Harumichi Bouya and Tsukishima Hana, the respective protagonists. The opponents they encounter can be divided into two distinct groups: Rivals (delinquents who respect the codes of honor and companionship in high school gang warfare) and Bad Guys (jerks).
- The Rival: Hana has Mitsumasa and Amachi, while Bouya has Rindaman.
- Smoking Is Cool
Tropes found in the Crows Zero:
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Izaki and Genji in the final battle against the Serizawa Army.
- Battle in the Rain: The Climatic war between The GPS and Serizawa Army.
- Damsel in Distress:Ruka after Yuuji has her kidnapped along with her friends.
- Designated Villain: Serizawa is the BigBad but only because Genji has to fight him. Other than that..He never does anything bad. In fact he could even be mistaken as The Main protagonist.
Tropes found in the Crows Zero 2:
- Arch-Nemesis: Suzuran and Housen. Housen are trying to avenge their past leader's death at the hands of a suzuran student.