The start of the academic year sees Asako Hayakawa as a new Student Council President, and it falls to her to write up club budgets for this year. As she made rounds through the school checking up the clubs, she met with Shinsuke Oda, the only member of the billiards club. Stating that he won't get any budget this year, Asako is quickly invited by Shinsuke to a show of his skills in a bid to get people to join his club...
Break Shot (ブレイクショット Bureikushotto) is a Japanese Shounen manga series by Takeshi Maekawa (of Tekken Chinmi fame). It ran in Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine from 1987 to 1990, and collected into 16 volumes of tankoubons.
Tropes in Break Shot:
- The Ace: Most apparent in Jeffrey Boyd and Ryouji Kanou, but Shinsuke is also considered one.
- Ancestral Pool Cue: Shinsuke's and Saeki's cues are both made in the forties or fifties by Douglas Mord, a man considered to be a legendary underground pool player. Saeki's skull cue in particular as she received it from his grandfather, a personal friend of Douglas Mord.
- Animal Motifs: Douglas' is snake, and by extension, this become Shinsuke's animal motif too as he now have his cue.
- Artistic License Physics: Oh hell yes. Crazy things happened starting from deflecting the cue ball with air conditioning.
- Club Stub: The billiard's club in Shinsuke's school consists of only him. Asako later joined.
- Cool Old Guy: Richard Moubil is quite cool, but Domon Iwao out-cooled him later.
- Cursed with Awesome: Jeffrey's left pointer finger can't be straightened, but this means he has a very stable guide for his powerful shots.
- Dub Name Change: In Elex' Indonesian translation, a whole slew of names were changed (Shinsuke became Chinmi, for instance).Averted in the re-release.
- Hell Is That Noise: The sounds produced from the Douglas Cue spinning to gather the power needed for the Douglas Shot and Double Headed Snake is this, purposefully designed by Douglas to mimic a sidewinder's tail rattle.
- Heroic RRoD: The Douglas Shot is so powerful, that it completely wrecks the tip of Shinsuke's cue after a relatively short bout of uses (granted it has been in storage and hasn't been maintained for the better part of three to four decades) and netted him a loss against Domon. Shinsuke has injured his hands developing his shots numerous times, too.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Ryouji only uses his signature Shotgun Shot with his left hand, but can play just as well with his right.
- Student Council President: Asako is one.
- Tournament Arc: Most arcs indeed revolve around tournaments, with the grand goal being the American Cup.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Tsuyoshi Oogaki, who relies on his brawn and masse shots.
- Weak, but Skilled: Minoru Aono and Tohru, who plays mostly basic billiards without apparent fancy tricks.