Hayashi Shoutaro is a below-average high school student with a hopeless crush on the class idol, Kanda Yayoi, and no ability to act on it. That is, until his otaku older sister, Midori, forces him to crossplay (a subset of Cosplaying where the player dresses as a character of the opposite gender) at a merchandising event for their favorite anime in exchange for a ticket to attend. Hesitant at first, Shoutaro quickly gets into the crossplay just in time for none other than Yayoi to show up and befriend his new female persona, quickly named "Shouko." Finding himself to actually have the guts to talk to Yayoi in his guise as Shouko, Shoutaro begins to build a friendship with Yayoi, who quickly develops a crush on Shouko. In other words, it's a Love Triangle with only two people and crossdressing.
This Manga Contains Examples of:
- Cosplay: Both Shoutaro and Yayoi dress up as characters from the in-series anime "Gran-Regan."
- Damsel in Distress: Yayoi plays this role when she and Shouko get roped into a live Magical Girl stage show at an amusement park.
- Dirty Old Man: Shouko sparks Yayoi's crush by saving her from one of these. He later makes another appearance at the Magical Girl stage show in chapter 3.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Used extensively with the art style, particularly with Shouko's sweat, and once with a bottle of mayonnaise. See especially Shouko's reaction whenever he's the center of a group's attention.
- Doujinshi: A major plot device early on. Midori and Yayoi write, draw, and distribute their own doujinshi based on Gran-Regan. Shoutaro has apparently been Midori's assistant for years at this, and her doujinshi were originally how Midori and Yayoi met and made friends.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Shouko gets a couple moments of this with Yayoi, first when they meet, which ignites Yayoi's crush, and again when the two are on a date at an amusement park and get roped into a live Magical Girl stage performance.
- Otaku: Shoutaro's sister, Midori, in the extreme. Shoutaro himself and Yayoi to lesser extents. The Dirty Old Man from chapters one and three.
- Shout-Out: The main characters are fans of an anime called "Gran-Regan," an in-universe knockoff of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Midori and Yayoi draw yaoi doujinshi based on the show, and Shoutaro and Yayoi's cosplays in the first chapter are based off the show's equivalents of Nia and Yoko, respectively.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Midori and Yayoi ship Shimon and Kamina's in-universe equivalents together. Shoutaro isn't into it, but is making an effort to understand Yayoi's fascination, much to her delight.