Blade of the Immortal: Bakumatsu Arc is the sequel manga serial to Blade of the Immortal.
Eighty years after the final battle with the Ittou-ryu, but ten before the original series epilogue, Manji returns to Japan after living in America. It is now nearing the end of the Bakumatsu Period (1853-1867) and he meets a new companion named Ryouma Sakamoto. The two team up and head to Kyoto to "save people", working with the Tosa Imperialists to potentially lead Japan into a bright future. Ryouma feels that way, at least; Manji isn't so sure. He gets roped into politics and fights after a descendant from someone in his past tries to spur his involvement.
Story by Renji Takigawa, manga by Ryuu Suenobo, in collaboration with Hiroaki Samura.
The following information contains unavoidable spoilers for the original series, Blade of the Immortal.
- Historical Fantasy: Takes place in a real place and time like the original series, but this one follows fictionalized versions of real people.
- Mistaken Nationality: While in America, some people assumed Manji was a Native American.
- Older Than They Look: Manji is over a hundred years old now, but stopped counting.
- Production Throwback: We get some reminders of characters from the original series.
- The Shinsengumi: There is a plethora of characters based on real people, particularly the Shinsengumi.
- Shout-Out: The kanji "itsu" in "Itsuban" is the same as the "itsu" in "Ittou-ryu".
- Suddenly Significant City: This story takes place in Kyoto, close in time to the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate.