Awkward Silence or Bukiyou na Silent is a Boys' Love genre manga by Takanaga Hinako, author of many other popular yaoi series such as The Tyrant Falls in Love and Little Butterfly. It's serialized in the magazine Be x Boy since 2004 and currently has five volumes.
Poor communication kills... or at least makes relationships a little more difficult than usual.
Toono Satoru is a mostly expressionless boy who has a crush on popular Baseball player Tamiya. He spends most of his time shut away in the art room at school drawing him and never for a moment thinks that his crush would ever be anything more than one sided... until Tamiya asks him out. Inwardly Toono is thrilled but it doesn't show on his face.
It requires endless patience on Tamiya's part just to not give up on him, and incredible effort on Toono's just to get his feelings across.
It received an English publication in 2012 by SuBLime, both digitally and in paperback.
If you came here looking for the page about awkward silences in general, see Beat.
This manga provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Vols. 3-4 focus on Sagara and Kagami.
- Affectionate Nickname: Satoru refers to Sagara as "Yuu-chan".
- Berserk Button: Tamiya is usually a relaxed and cool-headed guy, however, if someone tries to steal Satoru away from him, he will attack them and let his Crazy Jealous Guy out.
- Coitus Ensues: At the end of each chapter.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Tamiya is this to Satoru, he has gotten jealous by Sagara just referring to Satoru by his first name. When Kagami makes an advance on Satoru, when he believed Satoru was in love with Sagara, Tamiya's reaction is to pull Satoru out of Kagami's grip, kick Kagami, and declare aloud that Satoru is his.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: Tamiya.
- Emotionless Girl: Toono's mother - clearly he takes after her.
- Fainting: When Toono makes a long speech, he suffers a combo sort-of Corset Faint and Emotional Faint because he is so unused to speaking for long periods of time that he completely runs out of breath and nearly asphyxiates.
- French Maid Outfit: Machida wears one for her class's Maid Cafe
- First-Name Basis: Sagara (Yuuji) and Toono call each other Yuu-chan and Satoru. Toono's boyfriend Tamiya is jealous before Satoru tells him he can call him Satoru and Tamiya tells him to call him Keigo.
- While he has called him "Keigo" a few times, Satoru still isn't comfortable with regularly referring to Tamiya by his first name and still refers to him as "Tamiya."
- Generic Cuteness: As is typical in Yaoi manga.
- High School: The setting for the entire manga.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Toono's obliviousness make's him this in Tamiya's eyes.
- Love Triangle: Used in comedic ways; at first, Satoru and Tamiya thought they were in one with Machida, when both thought the other liked her. A bit after that, Tamiya believed Sagara liked Satoru; once again resulting in this. Later, Kagami believed that Satoru, Tamiya, and Sagara were in one. As of now, there has not been an actual one.
- Luminescent Blush: Toono, but only during sex. Tamiya wishes he'd show his emotions that easily at other times.
- Maid Cafe: Machida's class does this for the culture fair.
- The Matchmaker: Both Toono and Tamiya try this with the Kagami and Sagara Yuu.
- Official Couple: Tamiya and Satoru. Kagami and Sagara are in the works at becoming one, but seem to be the Beta Couple.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Sagara Yuu meets up with Toono again years after he moved away, however, they only see each other as almost brothers and neither have romantic feelings for the other.
- The Quiet One: Toono is small, cute and very shy.
- School Festival: Complete with its very own Cosplay Café! (Their class did a Haunted House the previous year.) It also has the effect of completely exhausting Toono after he ends up put on the organisation committee before he has a chance to say no.
- Sprouting Ears: In the Doggy and Kitty Ears special. Tamiya's a dog and Toono's a cat, and alternate between looking like the animals normally would and looking like their normal selves only a Little Bit Beastly.
- Stalker with a Crush: Alternative Character Interpretation for Toono. The guy has fourteen notebooks filled with sketches of Tamiya playing baseball. In the manga, it comes off as more sweet than stalkerish - the art club room does happen to look over the baseball pitch, after all - but it's still a bit weird.
- Not So Stoic: Toono will have an expressionless face no matter what he's feeling, but he is prone to have a Luminescent Blush whenever Tamiya says something flirty or perverted, and he has cried on a few occasions.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Toono and his mother, who he inherited his stoic features from; his dad, however, is "normal."
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Sagara, who only really shows his warm side to Toono.
- Kagami sends him into full on Tsundere mode, though.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Toono and Tamiya are the Official Couple, and Machida is the friend they're initially both jealous of, before they find out she already has a boyfriend.
- Understanding Boyfriend: Until Sagara showed up again, Tamiya was the only person who could read Toono's moods and wasn't put off by his blank expression.
- Violently Protective Boyfriend: Tamiya, he once punched Sagara when he thought he hurt Satoru and kicked Kagami harshly when he saw him coming onto Satoru.
- Your Size May Vary: Satoru at the start of the manga is only slightly shorter than Tamiya (bottom left panel), however, later once the manga-ka settled in with the art, Satoru is significantly shorter than Tamiya (bottom panel).