I wish for a cool million dollars, right now!
(Beat Panel, nothing happens)
If Jiminy Cricket were here, I'd skoosh him.
Wish granting is a popular concept in fiction with numerous tropes, and several magical creatures and artifacts acquiescing to these desires, typically genies and fairies, but witches and wishing wells are not unheard of.
The wishes are commonly defined by the way they're granted. Hopefully they'll be carried out as you intended, but watch out if your words are taken literally, and woe betide you if they're deliberately misinterpreted...
Not to be confused with Wish Fulfillment, which is about the audience's wishes being fulfilled in the story.
- Bargain with Heaven
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Someone makes a wish and, once it is granted, learns the hard way that their desire has its downsides.
- Becoming the Genie: Someone ends up turning into a wish-granting entity themselves.
- Benevolent Genie: A genie who does their best to ensure that their master is safe and gets what they want.
- Deal with the Devil: Getting what you desire by making a deal with a malevolent being.
- Fairy Godmother
- Fairy in a Bottle
- Freeing the Genie: Using a wish to free the wish-granting entity so they don't have to grant people's wishes anymore.
- Genie in a Bottle
- The Genie in the Machine
- I Wish It Were Real
- I Wished You Were Dead: Someone wishes a person they dislike was dead, then feels guilty when the person actually dies.
- Jackass Genie: The genie deliberately misinterprets their master's wish or makes it so that the wish is granted at a terrible price.
- Literal Genie: The genie grants a wish based on the literal wording due to not knowing any better.
- Make a Wish: A character makes a wish.
- Mundane Wish: Someone uses a wish to grant an ordinary desire.
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Our Genies Are Different
- Quest for a Wish
- Retroactive Wish
- Selfless Wish: Someone forfeits their wish on behalf of someone else.
- Sold His Soul for a Donut
- Three Wishes: The tendency for genies and other wish-granting entities to only allow their master three wishes.
- Wasteful Wishing: A person wastes their wish on something frivolous.
- Wish Upon a Shooting Star
- Wishing Well
- Wishing for More Wishes: Getting around the three wishes limit by wishing for more wishes.