Black is the darkest color we can see — it is the absence of light, and thus it is the absence of light reflection. Its symbolism can be culturally complex — depending on culture, it can symbolize death, or it can symbolize evil. In a more neutral sense, it can symbolize darkness and the night. In other senses, it can symbolize refined formality or financial security. And because human beings also come in this color, it can also be a powerful (and sensitive) symbol of superficial differences in human complexion.
This index also includes Race Tropes where the color black is literally or symbolically invoked for whatever cultural reasons. Remember the Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment. For tropes specific to the race, see Black Index.
This is a subindex of Gray Tropes, as black is the darkest shade of gray.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: An aloof or composed, attractive female character with dark hair.
- Bad Black Barf: A thick, black goo that oozes from the victim's mouth.
- Black Blood: Changing the color of blood from red to something else, often black, for censorship reasons.
- Black Cloak: A conspicuous outfit intended to conceal one's identity.
- Black Bead Eyes: Two black ellipses for a character's eyes.
- Black Dot Pupils: A character's pupils drawn as simple, black dots.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When a character's eye sclera is black, which shows their insanity.
- Black Eyes of Evil: When a character's villainy is signified by the blackness of their eyes.
- Black Knight: A strong, infamous knight clad in black armor.
- Black Screen of Death: The screen going black when two or more characters fight.
- Black Swords Are Better: Swords with a black blade depicted as superior to swords with a gray blade.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: A trio consisting of a blonde, a dark-haired, and a red-haired character.
- Dark Is Evil: Dark colors, styles, and themes used in the style and appearance of villains.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Darkness associated with the forces of good.
- Evil Wears Black: Villains wearing black clothing.
- Fade to Black: When the screen fades to black.
- Little Black Dress: A simple, short black dress with no decoration or trimming.
- Movie Superheroes Wear Black: Superheroes wearing black and/or leathery clothing in film.
- Ominous Obsidian Ooze: Oily black substances mean nothing but trouble.
- Paint It Black: When a costume suddenly becomes Darker and Edgier with a change in alignment.
- Purple Is the New Black: Purple, or another dark color, substituting for black
- Quip to Black: A snappy, one-liner comment just before the commercial break or opening sequence.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The colors black and red used to indicate villainy.
- The Sacred Darkness: Darkness treated as a benevolent force.
- Smash to Black: A Smash Cut straight to a black screen, usually succeeding a dramatic event.
- Widow's Weeds: Funeral clothes worn by women.