Brains are one of the most important parts of the body, if not the most important. Brains are where all thoughts, all memories, all personality traits, all psychic powers and all sensations are stored. Your brain is what makes you you.
But this isn't necessarily about you, this is about your brain.
To clarify, the tropes listed below are more about the organ itself, rather than the mind it contains or using "brains" as a term for intelligence, though there is some overlap. For tropes about those other aspects of the brain, see the indexes and supertropes listed to the right, below the picture of the appropriately-named laboratory mouse.
Tropes of the Brain:
- 90% of Your Brain : Allegedly, humans only use 10% of their total brainpower, so something must happen when using all of it, right? Y'know, aside from a seizure.
- Brain/Computer Interface: A direct hookup between minds and machines.
- Brain Fever: A sickness in the brain caused by shock or stress.
- Brain Food: A brain, commonly a human one, being eaten. Typically done by zombies.
- Brain Freeze: A pain that comes from eating cold food too fast, commonly believed and portrayed to be the brain, well, freezing.
- Brain in a Jar: A brain put into a jar for preservation once removed from the head.
- Brain Monster: A monster that is either a giant brain or has a visible, exposed brain.
- Brain Theft: Where is my mind? Somebody stole it.
- Brain Transplant: Switching bodies is so easy, just have a surgeon open up your heads and swap the brains.
- Brain Uploading: The contents of your brain are now saved on a computer.
- Brain with a Manual Control: The mind is influenced by a machine, so time to press all the buttons!
- Childhood Brain Damage: The early stages of life are most key for the development of a brain. If something went wrong, the repercussions last all life long.
- Cranial Processing Unit: The "brain" of a robot has the same location as the brain of a human.
- Cranium Compartment: Opening the head with ease, exposing the brain or lack thereof.
- Dr. Brainpart: A scientist/genius whose name includes the word "brain" or something related to it.
- Eat Brain for Memories: Eating brains results in gaining the knowledge contained within. And also lots of cholesterol, but never mind that.
- Hollow-Sounding Head: The brain takes up a lot of space in the head, so without it there, the head is quite hollow.
- In One Ear, Out The Other: There's nothing between the ear canals, especially not a brain.
- Lobotomy: The unethical surgical practice of cutting parts of the brain in an effort to cure mental illnesses and non-conformity. It almost never ends well.
- My Brain Is Big: An abnormally large brain, indicating super-intelligence or psychic powers.
- My Skull Runneth Over: The mind is too much for the brain to handle.
- Pineal Weirdness: The pineal gland is the strangest part of the brain. It's real purpose isn't completely known, so it's unreal purpose can be anything.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: Even the undead need a brain in order to function.
- This Ain't Rocket Surgery: A common joke is comparing something to rocket science or brain surgery. A subtrope is if the something in question really is rocket science or brain surgery.
- 'Tis Only a Bullet in the Brain: Survival of being shot in the head, and potentially the brain too.
- Wetware CPU: Brains acting as the ultimate computer.
- Who Even Needs a Brain?: Someone is still alive despite losing their brain.
- Your Brain Won't Be Much of a Meal: Because of someone's stupidity, brain-eaters don't bother trying to eat their brain.
- Your Head A-Splode: Heads exploding, probably due to the brain exploding.