When a character drinks through a straw, and for some reason there is only ever a centimeter of liquid left in the cup, it leads to that exaggerated sucking sound. Despite the fact that this sound will occur about once during the process of drinking, it is often repeated and prominent, perhaps with the intent to communicate that the character is indeed, drinking through a straw, as if the accompanying visual of a character drinking through a straw was not sufficient evidence.
- One televised ad for Pepsi-Cola shows a grade-school boy at the beach, drinking his cola through a straw. So determined is he to get every last molecule of the beverage that he suctions himself into the bottle. His sister takes her bottled brother off-screen, declaring, "Mommy, he did it again."
- Another Pepsi ad starts with a little boy watching a Star Wars movie at the cinema. He keeps sucking at the final drops in his large drink cup so loudly that it annoys Darth Vader into Breaking the Fourth Wall, crushing the cup with the Force, and getting into an oversized Laser Blade fight with an usher who objects to all this.
- Friendship is Witchcraft: Twilight does this (offscreen) while Rarity is talking in episode 8, "Foaly Matripony".
- Officer Clawhauser from Disney's Zootopia makes a sustained noise while drinking the last drops of his bottled beverage. Rather than bothering rookie officer Judy Hopps, it inspires her to use the bottle's convex base to magnify significant details in the last sighting photo of Emmett Otterton.
- Hercules: Hades is about to blast Pain for wearing Hercules brand sandals when he's distracted by Panic sipping loudly from a Hercules brand soda cup.
- In The Stinger of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Friendship Games, the tense moment of both Twilights meeting each other for the first time is lightened by Pinkie Pie noisily slurping on her drink with a straw.
- Despicable Me: At the carnival booth with the unicorn prize, the smarmy carnival barker taunts Gru into paying for more games by slurping loudly from his soda cup. Gru becomes so annoyed with the carny's antics that he blows up the entire booth and takes the unicorn for himself.
- ''NCIS: This is yet another way that Tony DiNozzo can annoy people, especially Gibbs. Notably, one time where their car is stuck in traffic, and Tony is noisily drinking; an already upset Gibbs grabs the cup and throws it onto the road, despite Tony's protests that it is littering.
- In an Ernie and Bert sketch on Sesame Street, the two characters go to the movie theater, but Ernie keeps bothering Bert and the other moviegoers by eating his snacks loudly. At one point, Ernie drinks a can of soda noisily through a straw, which causes Bert to lose his temper and yell at him to be quiet, at which point the usher enters and throws Bert out.
- In the Animaniacs episode "Potty Emergency", Wakko is at a movie theater drinking from a very large cup, slurping loudly every time the leading lady in the movie screams.
- In one Tiny Toons episode dealing with Buster and Babs getting a job at the local Burger Fool, it shows that cartoon fast food cups really do only have a wee amount of pop in them. A "large soda" is packed with ice with a single drop of cola filling in the cracks, justfying the slurping noise