This is a Stock Phrase used either to imply that something being observed is a prime example of X, or just to make a pun about it, or anywhere in between.
open/close all folders
Films — Animated
- Mulan. After burning Shan-Yu's hawk:
Mushu: Now that's what I call Mongolian barbecue.
- The Care Bears Movie
Grumpy Bear: This little star got itself stuck in the gears.
Share Bear: Now, that's what I call star-stuck, Grumpy Bear.
- In Frozen, ice harvester Kristoff is completely awestruck when he sees Elsa's Ice Palace:
Kristoff: Now that's ice...
Films — Live-Action
- Independence Day. After knocking an alien unconscious with one blow:
- Saved!. Patrick is wearing a loincloth, portraying a crucified Jesus in a play.
Cassandra: Now that's what I call being hung on a cross.
- The Man with the Golden Gun.
Scaramanga: [Destroys Bond's sea plane with a solar-powered weapon] Now that's what I call solar power.
- Back to School. After snorkeling in a hot tub with four bikini-clad co-eds:
Thornton Melon: Now that's what I call marine biology!
- The Phantom Menace, while maneuvering a plane through the Battle of Naboo:
Anakin Skywalker: Now this is pod racing!
- Thor: Ragnarok: The Grandmaster, after he tells Thor how he can "earn his freedom" and the latter starts to get fed up:
Thor: Fine, then point me in the direction of whoever's ass I have to kick!
Grandmaster: That's what I call "contender"!
- At the end of Soul Music: Now that's what I call Music With Rocks In.
- Discussed in Going Postal. After defeating a banshee by throwing him into the sorting engine, reducing him to Ludicrous Gibs, Moist reflects that at this point a hero would say "That's what I call sorted!" Not being a hero, he just throws up.
- In Making Money, when Adora Belle opens Sir Joshua Lavish's private cabinet and sees the astonishing variety of fetish gear therein, this is how she reacts:
Adora Belle: You did say he entertained young ladies up here, right?
Moist: With astonishing regularity for his age, yes.
Adora Belle: Well, that's what I call entertainment.
- Bones episode "The Beaver in the Otter": After a stolen school mascot suit is abused by a rival school's team, a dead body falls out of it. While the body is being examined:
Angela Montenegro:' He was shot by a blunderbuss, pelted by an angry mob, and then burned.
Saroyan: Now that's what I call team spirit. [They look at her strangely] I'm a wisecracking pathologist with a dark sense of humor.
- M*A*S*H episode "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen". The Korean War is about to end.
Radio broadcaster: If you add it all up, it comes to more than two million people killed or wounded.
Hawkeye: [Being ironic] Now that's what I call a grand total.
- The Incredible Hulk (1977) episode "Like a Brother"
D.J.: [refering to the Hulk] Man, now that's what I call a colored man!
- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. episode "Deep in the Heart of Dixie". Lord Bowler is dressed up like a nun to hide from outlaws.
Brisco County Jr.: Now that's what I call a real bad habit.
- F Troop episode "V Is for Vampire"
Chief Wild Eagle: [Upon seeing Count Sforza for the first time] Now that's what I call a paleface!