Oh, God, nobody cool says Hi.
I'd love to take her out. I hope my deodorant's working.
HER: Nice view.
He's talking to me! And he'll hate my silly dress.
HIM: (Taking a furtive step toward her) Just look at the clouds over there.
I've got to find out who she is.
HER: I'm Leslie ...
What a stupid name. He'll hate it and hate me.
HIM: Neat dress.
I just love her name.
The example is about a sexual attraction, but there are tons of other things that it could be about, anything which is not being said out loud about a topic that is present in the context. Note, in particular, that subtext can be (and frequently is) read into a work where none was actually intended by the author.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Romantic/sexual subtext between enemies.
- Hide Your Lesbians: Subtextual lesbians.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Someone constantly states their heterosexuality to rebuff their gay subtext.
- Ho Yay: Unintentional or questionably intentional gay subtext.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Intentional gay subtext.
- Incest Subtext: Incestuous subtext.
- No Yay: Squicky subtext, often of the sexual variety.
- Queer Flowers: Certain flowers convey gay subtext.
- Reality Subtext: When Real Life issues mirror the production, but don't significantly affect it.
- Threesome Subtext: Subtext about the possibility of a shared romantic and/or sexual relationship between three characters.