Bad smells can be a rather unpleasant thing for the nose. Under the right circumstances, the smell can be pretty powerful; sometimes, so powerful that they can travel through communication devices. It won't matter even if you're either in an airtight bunker or miles away, because if you have any way to talk to someone via any communication device whatsoever, the smell can and will reach you.
- In this future-themed parody of Goofus and Gallant, Goofus watches Smell-O-Vision while Gallant uses a noseplug to not disturb others: https://imgur.com/a/vcEWU
- The Klutz company made a book of wacky fictitious inventions, one of which was the Smell Pod. Instead of playing music, it played scents, complete with earbuds which you stuck in your nose.
- Les Visiteurs: Subverted when Godefroy is trying to get his villein Jacquouille to return to the Middle Ages with him (by phone), but Jacquouille refuses. So Godefroy tells Jacquouille the time travel has started to rot him from the insides, giving him foul breath that can be smelled from the other end of the phone. Jacquouille disbelieves him, and tries it out by breathing onto a hapless bystander... who, of course, starts gagging at the unbearable stench of a Dung Ages peasant's mouth. Later Jacquouille says he's discovered tooth's-paste and doesn't need to leave.
- The Muppet Show: In the Zero Mostel episode, Scooter takes a phone call from his uncle, and asks him to put out his cigar as smoke emanates from the receiver.
- Rudy Dewclaw from Kevin & Kell can ascertain that he's cyber-chatting with Fiona by sniffing the CPU exhaust fan.
- Parodied in Arthur, where in the episode "Cereal", Buster tries to show someone the smell of something in a podcast, but then realizes he can't.
- Biker Mice from Mars: In the episode "Garbage Wars", when Limburger is talking with the Loogie Brothers through a video screen, their infamous smell somehow gets through the television to Limburger.
- The Day My Butt Went Psycho!: Deuce's natural odour hidden by his fart field (a natural layer of scum used to mask a Butt's natural odor) is so powerful, Eleanor is able to smell it right through Zack's computer. It also causes the computer to break from the stench.
- In the first episode of The Epic Tales of Captain Underpants, when the Monster of the Week Flabby Flabulous farts on our heroes, the Lemony Narrator tells the viewers to "turn down the smell on their TVs."
- Futurama has the Smellescope, a telescope that can allow the user to smell odors from far away places.
Professor Farnsworth: If a dog craps anywhere in the universe, you can bet I won't be out of the loop.
- Zoidberg's uncle Harold Zoid says his acting career went downhill as soon as Smell-O-Vision was invented.
- In the Looney Tunes cartoon, "The Old Grey Hare" according to a newspaper from the year 2000, Smellevision has replaced television.
- Right Now Kapow: In one segment, a football coach suffers from terrible breath and the team asks him to eat a mint, which only makes it worse and smell like "hot, winter-green garbage." Then the team makes him go all the way to the other side of the field while he gives instructions through the quarterback's wireless headset, only for his breath to wind up being transmitted right through the headset. The team desperately tries to get the quarterback's helmet off, only for them and the other team to get knocked out by the coach's breath.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: In "Squidville", Patrick's bad breath from eating fried oyster skins travels though a communicator box and knocks out the guard on the other side.