Tropes and Audience Reactions about characters or other parts of a work that the audience absolutely hates.
It's not enough for the audience to Love to Hate them, they have to Hate to Hate them. Unlike Hate Sinks, Scrappies aren't hated for performing heinous deeds, but because they make the work worse whenever they appear. The hatred is so baked into the definition of these tropes that it's impossible for a single viewer to both like a character and believe it's a Scrappy of any kind.
See also Annoyance Tropes.
These tropes suck!<!—index—>
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Something happens to a Scrappy that's so tragic that even their detractors feel sorry for them.
- Americans Hate Tingle: A character is only a Scrappy in a foreign market.
- Base-Breaking Character: The fandom is divided between those who hate a character, and those who don't.
- Cheese Strategy: A particular strat/tactic is generally hated by the fandom for its "cheapness".
- Creator's Pet: A character is loved and given a lot of focus by the creator, but is hated by the fans (often because of the focus they're given).
- Damsel Scrappy: A Damsel in Distress that the fans don't think is worth saving.
- Die for Our Ship: Fans hate a character for getting in the way of their preferred Shipping arrangements.
- Elimination Houdini: A reality show contestant who stays much longer than the fans would prefer.
- Ethnic Scrappy: A character who is hated because they're based on offensive stereotypes.
- High-Tier Scrappy: A video game character is hated because they're too powerful to fight against.
- Jerks Are Worse Than Villains: When audiences hate Jerkass characters more than much more harmful villains.
- Low-Tier Letdown: A video game character is hated because they're too weak to use.
- Replacement Scrappy: They're hated because they replaced a fan-favorite character.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: A Scrappy is rewritten to be better and no longer draw the hate of fans.
- The Scrappy: The original trope, a character hated by the work's fans for unintentional reasons.
- Scrappy Mechanic: A video game mechanic that frustrates the player.
- Scrappy Weapon: A video game weapon that isn't good enough for the job (and may be mandatory to use).
- Take That, Scrappy!: The Scrappy gets what the fans think they deserve.
- Temporary Scrappy: A Scrappy is intentionally introduced as such, and is removed before they can grate too much.
- X-Pac Heat: The audience is supposed to hate the character, but they hate the performer instead.