In the developed world, almost everyone attends school at some point in their lives. So it's only natural that a large number of TV shows (and movies and books, etc) center around the school experience. In reality, every teacher is different. On TV, however, teachers seem to always fall into one of the following categories:
- Apathetic Teacher: A teacher who doesn't give a damn how well their students do.
- Apple For Teacher
- Cool Teacher
- Drill Sergeant Nasty (the coach version)
- Evil Teacher
- Fired Teacher
- Hippie Teacher
- Hot Librarian
- Hot Teacher
- Misplaced Kindergarten Teacher
- Mysterious Teacher's Lounge
- Non-Giving-Up School Guy: A person who will do whatever needs to be done to keep kids from skipping school.
- Politically Motivated Teacher
- Private Tutor
- Sadist Teacher: A teacher who enjoys tormenting their students.
- Scary Librarian
- School Nurse
- Stern Teacher: A teacher who can be a bit harsh at times, but in the end truly does care about their students and is only hard on them because they want them to do well.
- Teacher/Parent Romance: A teacher falls in love with the parent of one of their students.
- Teachers out of School
- Teacher/Student Romance: A teacher and their student fall in love.
- Teasing the Substitute Teacher
In terms of rank, the authority tropes arguably equal are Badass Preacher, Corrupt Corporate Executive, Irish Priest, Landlord, Preacher Man, Pedophile Priest, Sexy Priest, Sinister Minister and The Vicar. For the next step down, see Student Council President. For the next step up, see Dean Bitterman.