Maybe it's the Big Bad having a Villainous Breakdown, maybe it's an exasperated character on the verge of anger, or maybe it's a character that simply wants to be left alone and/or can't stand sound. One thing's for sure: They don't want to hear anything, and what's the way to have the other characters shut up?
Of course! Shouting: "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!" and nothing else.
Some times, a character can go so far into the Despair Event Horizon or in such a fit of rage that that they won't listen to reason, ever. Any arguments or maybe even talking to them will lead them to break down and yell at them to shut up, many many times. This could also be a habit of particularly stubborn or prideful people, a Knight Templar or Well-Intentioned Extremist that thinks they're in the right.
In a work with a lighter tone or in a less dramatic moment, it's also be caused by an embarrassed character after being taunted or teased. It's also common of Tsundere characters, especially the ones that are also Shana Clones.
This could cause, or be the cause of, said character to experience a mental and/or emotional breakdown, losing all will to fight, preferring to shout at others to shut up.
Compare to Shut Up, Kirk!, Villainous Breakdown (If it's an antagonistic character doing it), Shut Up, Hannibal! (If it's a protagonist doing it). See also: Big "SHUT UP!". Overlaps with Ignoring by Singing if the character is simply trying to drown out the unwelcome speech.
- Kindergarten Cop: Ahnold does this on his first day as a kindergarten teacher after not even a minute. It starts off with a Big "SHUT UP!", but is quickly followed by a few smaller ones.
- Mars Attacks!: When General Decker tries to convince the U.S. President to launch nuclear weapons against the Martians, the President tells him to stop. When the general continues, the President repeatedly tells him to shut up.
General Decker: We have to strike now, sir. Annihilate. Kill! Kill! Kill!
The President: Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
- Punch-Drunk Love has Dean Trumbell scream some at Barry over the phone.
- In the Warrior Cats book Bluestar's Prophecy, Bluepaw has a moment where she thinks "Shut up! Shut up!" when Sunfall starts to confront her about her antisocial, suicidally reckless behavior.
- Breaking Bad: In "Hazard Pay", Skyler is at her wits' end over Walt moving back into the house, so when Marie scolds her over her smoking habit, it proves to be the Rage Breaking Point that pushes her into a nervous breakdown:
Skyler: Shut up.
Marie: What? I'm sorry, please don't speak to me like that. I am simply saying that—
Skyler: Will you shut up.
Skyler: Shut. The hell. Up. [Shouting] Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
Marie: Skyler- Please, stop- I'm-
Skyler: Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! [Begins to cry]
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Dawn has two different meltdowns, screaming Shut Up repeatedly as her voice rises in pitch each time until she's shrieking.
- Doctor Who: Series 8 introduced us the then-recent Twelfth incarnation of the Doctor, and one of the most repeated phrase he said was "shut up!", which almost became his Catch Phrase, or at least it was in that season. Mostly seen as a rapid-fire in episodes like "Deep Breath" and "Time Heist" and in others just a Big "SHUT UP!". It's so notorious that a compilation was made, followed closer by Clara Oswald, who also learned how to shut up like him.
- Happens in one episode of Father Ted, when Ted and Dougal are trapped in a cave with Noel and his youth group. Of course, Noel's silly and overly positive behaviour starts driving everyone nuts and reaches breaking point when Noel makes a few joking comments about eating Tony, one of his group members.
Tony: Will you SHUT UP?! Will you?! Will you please SHUT UP?! WILL YOU SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP?!
- Friends: Chandler does this to Ross in response to Ross's "PIVOT!! PIVOT!! PIVOT!! PIVOT!!"
- In the How I Met Your Mother episode "The Rough Patch", where Barney and Robin act Like an Old Married Couple as their relationship goes on, with Barney getting fat and Robin getting strained to the point where she gets annoyed when he speaks. When the rest of the gang ask how they are, Robin tried to answer first, but Barney butted in, leading to her repeatedly muttering for him to shut up.
- It's taken Up to Eleven later in the episode, when Robin starts blurting out "SHUT UP" at random times—even when Barney is completely silent—because she's becoming so used to hating him speak.
- In an early episode of Scrubs J.D. totally loses it with Cox, Turk, Carla and Elliot in the staff canteen using this trope to lead into giving all them an epic The Reason You Suck speech as seen here.
J.D.: "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! And shut up! Okay? Who are you people to give me advice about anything? All you do is just bitch about your relationships all day long!"
- The Twilight Zone: In the debut episode of the 1985 version, they had an episode where all a harried housewife wanted was "A Little Peace and Quiet" ... and could do so by saying the words "shut up!" while wearing a magic amulet. (The spell would be reversed by saying "start talking," also while wearing the amulet.) She misuses the amulet for selfish gains until she realizes (far too late) that perhaps it was to be a gift to get world leaders to defuse a world nuclear crisis ... as one night, while she is relaxing in a bubble bath, war breaks out, and the only way to stop it is by enforcing the trope. At the last possible instant, she shouts out "SHUT UP!!!!" Then, says rapid-fire style to make sure time is frozen, the words "shut up" several times ... and then realizes she is trapped in an instant of time between panic and mass destruction of southern California.
- Animal Alpha's "Bundy" contains the lyrics "Shut your face—shut your—shut—shut—shut your face up" repeated four times.
- The traitor in Persona 5 pulls one of these after the Phantom Thieves defeat them and attempt to snap them out of their hatred and convince them to bring down Shido together. The result is obvious:
Morgana: Even if you think people hate you or don't want you around, that's-
Akechi: Shut up, shut up, shut up!
- In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, the Big Bad Ghetsis Harmonia rejects his son N's offer of redemption with one of these, adding a healthy dose of That Thing Is Not My Child! on top of it. The Shadow Triad arrives shortly afterward to confirm to both him and the player that Ghetsis has pretty much lost what little sanity he had left.
Ghetsis: Shut your mouth! Shut up! Shut up! Shut UP! Don't talk like a person, you freak! No real person could talk to Pokémon!
- Jan Jansen of Baldur's Gate II sometimes evokes this reaction in whoever has to listen to his ramblings.
Mazzy: You are mentally incapable of answering a straight question, arent you gnome?
Jan: Twas on a cold winters night near the beginning of the Great Underwear Shortage when we set sail. I danced naked on the poop deck, which was the custom at the time. Well, my nose and other extremities were getting frosty so I gathered up the tatters of my poor, abused, underwear and headed to the crows nest.
Mazzy: Shutup, shutup, shutup, shutup!!!
Jan: Well, I never! You did ask, after all.
- In The World Ends with You, Uzuki Yashiro gives one of these when Beat makes fun of her upon losing a game of tag (which she's usually good at) to him and Neku. After this, she loses it.
- In NieR: Automata, 9S has one of these in the D Ending when the Final Boss A2 tries to explain the purpose of the androids to him.
- In Let's Destroy the Metal Gear!, Meryl learns that constantly digging about Snake's traits riles him up.
Meryl: Snake, what's your name?Snake: Shut up.Meryl: How old are you?Snake: Shut up.Meryl: H-Hobbies?Snake: Shut up.Meryl: Any family?Snake: Shut up.Meryl: Anyone you—Snake: SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!
- The Nostalgia Critic during the "Bloobity bloobity" scene in Good Burger.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series In episode 59 Kaiba does this when Yami tries to explain what Defusion does despite Kaiba claiming he already knows what it does.
- The Cry of Mann: Combined with Cluster F-Bomb: when his callers keep speaking during his attempt to record something for Tank Mann, Jack becomes very angry, and repeatedly tells them to "Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up!"
- In the opening of one episode of Atop the Fourth Wall, Linkara is going to look at the infamous Wonder Woman miniseries "Amazons Attack!", but that in order to do it, he announces that he will be breaking his own rule on continuity, only for the Continuity Alarm to immediately go off, incurring his wrath.
Linkara: (angrily aiming his Magic Gun at the alarm) SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP—
(Cut to "technical difficulties" card, which reads "Anger-Induced Insanity - Please Stand By" and shows a crazed-looking Fry surrounded by Bender and other robots, while pleasant music plays in the background; after a few seconds, cut back to Linkara, with the alarm off now)
Linkara: (sighs heavily) So anyway...
- Real Time Fan Dub: Eggman does this to Shadow and Rouge after waking up with a terrible hangover. Rouge calmly points out that nobody was talking.