This index focuses on characters quitting or giving up on something.
Compare Victory and Defeat.
- 10-Minute Retirement: The hero temporarily gives up their career before being convinced to go back in the saddle.
- Achilles in His Tent
- Anti-Rage Quitting
- Anti Poop-Socking: A video game discourages players from playing too long by reminding them to take breaks after playing the game for a while.
- Despair Event Horizon: A character loses the will to keep going after becoming very depressed.
- Gave Up Too Soon: The character would've accomplished their goal had they waited a little before deciding to give up.
- Giving Up on Logic
- Guilt-Based Gaming
- Insignia Rip-Off Ritual
- Know When to Fold 'Em: A character is willing to accept when letting their opponent win is the only viable option.
- Off the Wagon: A character who has overcome their addiction ends up going into a relapse.
- Opt Out
- Quitting to Get Married
- Rage Quit: You angrily give up doing something.
- Recovered Addict
- Resign in Protest
- Resignations Not Accepted
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: A character chooses to leave after deciding that the problem they're facing isn't worth getting involved with.
- Stopped Caring
- Take This Job and Shove It: Someone angrily quits their job.