we're queer rockers in your face today!
we don't relate with Judy Garland
it's a new generation of music calling."
Queercore is a sub-genre overlapping Punk Rock and Post-Punk originating in The '80s which focuses on LGBT themes, especially sex and romance among homosexuals, cultural values, and intolerance towards LGBTI persons. While not all punk or post-punk bands that work with such themes consider themselves 'queercore', there have been several bands that have taken that moniker willingly. There is a strong overlap with the Riot Grrrl, AnarchoPunk, Hardcore Punk, and powerviolence subcultures.
Notable Queercore bands include:
- Against Me!
- Anti Scrunti Faction
- The Apostles (Ur-Example)
- Big Boys (another Ur-Example)
- Cypher In The Snow
- The Dicks
- Excuse 17
- Fifth Column
- Goolagoon (also powerviolence)
- Heavens To Betsy
- HIRS (one of the heaviest examples, occupying the genres of Grindcore, Powerviolence, and Thrash Metal)
- Homomilitia (also Crust Punk)
- Imperial Teen: Both men in the band, including Faith No More's Roddy Bottum, are gay and one of the women played in LGBT-themed Sister Double Happiness
- Limp Wrist (overlaps with thrashcore and powerviolence and easily one of the most aggressive examples; their stated ethos is "[putting] the 'core' back in 'Queercore'")
- The Need
- Nervous Gender: Combined with Industrial
- Pansy Division (generally the best-known example, and one of the few with some mainstream success)
- Pink Mass (also grindcore, black metal, and crust; while it's debatable whether they actually are queercore, they have enough pull with that fanbase to qualify either way)
- Queer Mutiny
- SeeYouSpaceCowboy (also mathcore and grindcore on Songs for the Firing Squad and metalcore on The Correlation Between Entrance and Exit Wounds; an ambiguous example, as while Connie Sgarbossa is openly transgender, and they have spoken out for numerous LGBTQ+ causes and have occasionally addressed LGBTQ+ issues in their lyrics, they have neither sought nor embraced the queercore tag)
- Sleeping States
- Team Dresch
- Three Dollar Bill
- Vaginal Davis