Ah, puberty. The time in one's life in which a human being is biologically no longer considered a child and the body starts to mature into that of an adult. Typically beginning in boys around ages 813 and girls ages 1114, puberty can be an emotional rollercoaster for a lot of kids, with feelings ranging from excitement, disappointment, confusion, to downright frustration. Although commonplace to begin as early as fourth grade, it really starts to become a major issue starting with the onset of middle school, at which point one is given a rite of passage to adolescence and starts to experience hormonal emotions. Although complemented with many psychological changes, the development of the human brain and body are only loosely correlated, meaning that different children develop at different rates. Although these changes are an epidemic during adolescence, they do not completely vanish by the start of adulthood. Puberty starting earlier than expected is usually referred to as "precocious puberty".
For the stereotypical psychological and cultural changes associated with puberty, see Aging Tropes and Teenage Tropes. May overlap with Transformation Causes. For the most disturbing end of the concept, see Sex Tropes.
- A-Cup Angst: A young woman who's self-conscious about her lack of breasts.
- All Periods Are PMS: Girls suffer irritability during their menstrual cycle.
- Dirty Kid: A sexually precocious child.
- Fille Fatale: Sexually precocious young girl.
- First Period Panic: Girl treats getting her first period like the end of the world.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: A teenager who is ruled by their sex drive.
- I Got Bigger: Character gets taller as a result of a growth spurt.
- No Periods, Period: Pubescent girl fails to get her period.
- Puberty Superpower: Being pubescent grants one powers.
- Pubescent Braces: Kids wear braces to portray them in that awkward puberty stage.
- Rise of Zitboy: Character notices their first case of acne.
- She Is All Grown Up: Puberty did this woman well.
- Wet Dream: Kids getting nocturnal emissions is commonplace during puberty.