Pater semper incertus est translation
These are tropes that have to do with paternity. If you get past the questionable paternity to actual parenthood, see The Parent Trope.
- Chocolate Baby: A supposed father is obviously not the biological father, because the baby looks very different.
- Daddy DNA Test: Science or magic are used to confirm paternity.
- Give the Baby a Father: A man who isn't the father of the child proposes to a pregnant woman, claiming fatherhood—if not paternity—of her baby.
- Law of Inverse Paternity: The possible father who would cause the most problems turns out to be the actual father.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: A character is disclosed as a possible parent.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Fathers (especially ones without DNA testing) cannot be sure of their children's paternity and must trust the mothers.
- Not Actually His Child: A man learns he's not genetically related to a child he's raised.
- Who's Your Daddy?: The mother herself is unsure of the paternity, causing angst and drama.
- Your Son All Along: A man learns he's the father of a child presumed to be someone else's.