Alice says something Betty finds shocking. "What?!" Betty asks indignantly. Alice, The Ditz, repeats word for word what she just said, mistaking the indignance for not having heard. If they're particularly unlucky, this might continue for some time.
Compare Rhetorical Question Blunder.
- Another variant in Austin Powers;
Austin: [giving a massage] How does that feel, baby?Girl: Mmm, lower!Austin: [deeper voice] How does that feel, baby?
- Zootopia: Nick's response to Chief Bogo when he tries to take Judy's badge.
Nick: Ah, no.Bogo: What did you say, fox?Nick: Sorry, what I said was nooo!
- Friends: Phoebe Buffay does it all the time:
Rachel: Ross's mom once told me I was like the daughter she never had.Monica: What?!Phoebe: (loudly) She's like the daughter she never had.
- The Golden Girls: Rose Nylund does it frequently:
Stan: We're being audited.Dorothy: What?!Rose: (loudly) He said you're being audited.
- Have I Got News for You: Paul Merton do has done lots of those. "Lower" (when guessing at a number) made him use a deeper voice, "nearer" made him lean in, etc.
- A variant was used when he came close to giving the correct answer but not close enough. The then host, Angus Deayton, said "More precisely?" Paul Merton repeated exactly what he had just said but slower and with much more careful diction.
- There was this exchange from a different episode:
Alexander Armstrong: What would happen if we decided to shut down all the UK's power stations tomorrow?Paul Merton: It'd go dark at night.Alexander Armstrong: More sinister even than that.Paul Merton: It'd go dark at night! Bwahaha!
- It was used multiple times in one episode of Night Court, always at Christine. Oh, and the last one came from a radio broadcast.
- Life On Mars has the double act of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt:
Sam: If the kidnapper's still at large we might be able to lure him out.Gene: How?Sam: That note was a cry for justice.Gene: And I ask again, only slightly louder, HOW?!!!
- Used in one episode of Taxi, when Reverend Jim was taking the test to get a driver's license ...
Jim: Psst! Bobby! What does a yellow light mean?Bobby: Slow down.Jim: What, does, a, yellow, light, mean?Bobby: Slow down!Jim: What ... does ... a ... yellow ... light ... mean?Bobby: Slow down!!Jim: Whaaaat ...... dooooeeeess ...... aaaaa ...... yeeellllllooowww ......
- The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour:
Tommy: Mom liked you best!Dick: You lower your voice!Tommy: (ridiculous low monotone)
- From RWBY:
Dr. Oobleck: Why, lone Grimm have been known to stay isolated from their pack for months and there's the whole pack.
Dr. Oobleck: And now they've seen us.
Dr. Oobleck: AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!
- From South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, where the show would normally use a Lame Rhyme Dodge:
Mr. Garrison: How would you like to go to the principal's office?!
Cartman: How would you like to suck my balls?
Mr. Garrison: WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!
Cartman: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Actually, what I said was...(produces a megaphone) HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS, MR. GARRISON?
- Used as a Running Gag in the animated series Flying Rhino Junior High between The Phantom and Raticus:
The Phantom: What did he/she say????
Raticus: He/She said that...
The Phantom: I HEARD HIM/HER!!!!!
- A gem from the Ruby-Spears Mega Man cartoon:
Dr. Wily: What do you mean, he escaped?
ProtoMan: Escaped, as in departed, vamoosed, beat feet...
Dr. Wily: I KNOW what the WORD means!
- It's happened in MSN conversations. As if, the other person in the convo thought the text was too quiet to read.