Step in my face,
Slander my name
All over the place.
Do anything that you want to do, but uh-uh,
Honey, lay off of my shoes
Don't you step on my blue suede shoes.
Alice and Bob are fighting. Alice manages to destroy/ruin/mangle Bob's shirt/sunglasses/hair/whatever. This unhinges Bob and he suddenly goes into Determinator mode. While the destroyed item is often a #1 Dime, the reaction usually comes out of the blue.
- Grenadier - The manga opens with a bunch of mooks damaging Rushuna's hat. She goes ballistic, shoots them, and gets repaid for it by the dazed goons.
- In One Piece, Luffy knocks Buggy the Clown into next week after Buggy damages Luffy's straw hat.
- The first episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's has Nanoha damaging Vita's Nice Hat. Two minutes later, Nanoha's Deflector Shields are shattered, her Barrier Jacket's destroyed, her weapon's wrecked, and she's been smashed through a building and into a wall, completely defeated.
- In Ranma and Ryouga's first duel in Ranma ½, Ryouga rips a tear across Ranma's shirt. The latter complains about it being his favorite shirt, and the former calls him "a girl" for whining about it in the middle of a man-to-man fight. That was about the last thing Ryouga should have called him. Later on, that same rip gives Ryouga quite an eyeful when Ranma inevitably transforms.
- In the Pokémon anime, Ash used to get rather worked up anytime something would happen to his hat (usually being stolen by a simian Pokémon), but he appears to have since mellowed out about it.
- Fridge Brilliance kicks in here when you realize that Ash didn't care as much for his hats getting stolen after the first time because it wasn't the same hat that Ash had won as a child.
- In Dragon Ball, Tao gets quite annoyed with Goku when his Kamehameha wave ruins his outfit. It doesn't really change his intensity during the fight (he was hired to kill Goku after all), but he does care enough about it to get a custom made new one afterwards.
- Digimon Adventure 02 has this with Mimi when the Roachmon brothers have ruined her designer blouse by covering her with garbage.
Mimi: That's it! This is a designer blouse!
- When Superboy had to capture the former Intergang boss Steelhand (to have it televised by the WGBS channel), a bus hits him against a building and causes an explosion. He is unscathed, save for... "Okay, trying to kill me is one thing ... but that was my ONLY jacket!" He even brought it up again during Tana Moon's interview. Luckily, WGBS agreed to provide him with a supply of jackets as part of his contract.
- There Be Dragons, Harry:
Terion: Language, Draco. That was uncalled for.
Draco: It was my favorite shirt! My favorite! I don't have another one like that and it's not like I asked for them to attack me and-
- In I Wish Snape cuts open Harry's shirt to gain access to his injuries.
Harry: That was my favorite shirt.
Snape: Then you should have thought twice before getting blood on it.
- The Matrix- Neo kicks Agent Smith in the face, breaking his sunglasses. Agent Smith does not look happy.
- In The Matrix Reloaded, a normal agent does this when Morpheus cuts his tie.
- The Pacifier - A slice of bologna covered with mustard falls on Agent Wolf's shirt. He even replies, "this is my favorite shirt," invoking the Stock Phrase part of the trope.
- Mortal Kombat- Goro takes Johnny Cage's sunglasses and crushes them. Johnny Cage says later "Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole!" before beating the crap out of Goro.
- Undercover Brother. While fighting the title character, Mr. Feather cuts out part of his afro. Undercover Brother calmly says "You mess with the 'fro, you got to go", and proceeds to give Mr. Feather a righteous buttkicking.
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls: "All right...that's it! This 'White Devil' thing has gone far enough. Nobody! Messes! With The 'DO!" He then proceeds to get his butt kicked.
- Spaceballs- Lonestar, Barf, Vespa and Dot are running for Lonestar's ship to get off of Spaceball 1.
Princess Vespa: I ain't shootin' this thing, I hate guns!
[Vespa's hair gets singed]
Princess Vespa: My hair! He shot my hair! That son of a bitch!
[takes takes the gun and takes out upwards of 8 guards]
Barf: Holy shit!
- In the otherwise eminently forgettable horror movie Seven Days To Live, the main character attempts at one point to defend herself from her (driven insane by the movie's evil house) husband by stabbing him in the midsection with a screwdriver. Later in the movie he has her tied up and gagged and one of the things he tells her during his mad ramblings is, "Look at this. You ruined my favourite shirt and a perfectly good kidney."
- Maverick. The title character gets angry (or possibly pretends to) when his shirt is damaged during a fight.
Maverick: All right! My shirt's damaged! Damn! What the hell else bad can happen?
- Used without the Berserk Button in a Star Wars NJO novel. Barabel Jedi Tesar Sebatyne gets shot during a boarding action. Leia asks how bad it is. The response? "Bad... my best robe. This really burns me." Then he laughs and goes to kick all kinds of rear, since that's how Barabels are.
- Used as a Major Injury Underreaction in The Truth, by Otto Chriek. When he's stabbed in the chest by William's father in the climax, his response is irritation that he can't keep his nice shirts clean.
- Wizards and Witches on Discworld love their hats. Don't ever damage them or even ask them to take them off. Not even if a witch is sitting in front of you at the theater.
- In the Discworld novel Thief of Time, the History Monk Sato believes in peace to all living things, UNLESS you touch his hair. Some very luckless (and now dead) individuals find this out at the end of the book.
- Psmith's hat gets destroyed by gun-toting gangsters in Psmith, Journalist. To Psmith, this is just as bad as the fact that one of his friends lost part of his ear in the same shoot-out, and being Psmith, he ends up literally making the guy who hired them pay for the hat.
- "This is my best top, dammit!" ~ Ace Rimmer, Red Dwarf episode "Stoke Me a Clipper", directly after being fatally shot in the chest, and directly before killing the Nazis responsible. What a guy!
- On Friends, Chandler does this to Joey by pulling on the back of his jersey during their thanksgiving football game.
"That was my favorite shirt!"
"Well, now you have two!"
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- Kendra in the episode "What's My Line Part 2".
- Giles in a later episode when he gets turned into a demon. He humorously tries to put on a favored shirt of his but it gets torn up, much to his dismay. "And I liked that shirt!"
- In The Beverly Hillbillies, Mr. Drysdale's first introduction to Jed Clampet is when he grabs a ruffian who's holding up the workers at the Clampet estate and asks if he kows of Jed Clampet. Jed's response is along the lines of "I am Jed Clampet and I'd appreciate it if you let go of my Sunday shirt." In a very (uncharacteristically) angry tone.
- Played with in an episode of Get Smart. Max is losing a fencing duel against wheelchair-bound evil mastermind Leadside, until Leadside slices one of the buttons off Max's shirt.
Max: "99 gave me that button! Thanks, Leadside, I needed that!"
Fight continues, but now with Max winning.
Max throws one of Leadside's lackeys out the window.
Leadside: "My mother gave me that henchman! Thank you, Mr. Smart, I needed that!"
- Related, though not quite fitting as it's not a human destroying it: one Seinfeld episode features Jerry lamenting the slow death of "Golden Boy", his best shirt, slowly fading to the point of being unwearable due to overwashing.
- How about The Doctor from Doctor Who? The Ninth doctor had an amazing passion for his black leather jacket, and the Tenth Doctor was very attached to the coat he got from Janis Joplin, always making sure to tell people not to "hurt" it, since well it was a present.
- The Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide episode "Parties" has Ned getting himself locked in the closet to hide from Missy. After he gets out, Missy comes back later with a sledgehammer that she uses to smash the door in order to get him out. Seth yells, "That was my parents' favorite door!" and has her thrown out of the party.
- Kara inverts the trope in one episode of Supergirl: while she normally rips her shirts open to change into her super-outfit, in this episode she unbuttons the shirt carefully. Then answers the incredulous looks of her friends with:
What? I like this shirt!
- The Barenaked Ladies have a song titled "An Ode to Ed's Shirt".
- Several versions of "Stagolee" involve the title character shooting Billy DeLions because the latter stole (or won) Stagolee's Stetson.
- The Rock was extremely protective of his "$5000 shirts".
- This xkcd strip has a character use a stolen Russian submarine to retrieve his Nice Hat.
- Girly Subverted it here
- In Sluggy Freelance Bun-Bun has this reaction when Aylee accidentally erases his Baywatch tapes. He goes even more homicidal than usual. "I'm going to hunt you all down if it takes forever! I'm going to be the freaking Terminator on your collective butts! I will never stop! Never! NEVER!"
- Tower of God: Endorsi Jahad is incredibly protective of
her face"humanity's greatest cultural heritage". When Hwaryun aims a kick at it, she loses her cool and quite literally slips up. Of course, we are talking of her face.
- When Yajirobe breaks Vegeta's armor in Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Vegeta gets pissed.
Vegeta: That armor was a gift from my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, uh, I'm sorry. I'm sure your father was a great man!
Vegeta: I hated my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, well, I'm sure your father was a total prick then!
Vegeta: How dare you talk about my father that way!
13: My trucker hat! Ya plumb done gon dagum did it now, son!
- Android 13 is positively obsessed with his trucker hat. He does not take well to it being lost in the glacier.
- In the Dexter's Laboratory special Ego Trip, Executive!Mandark breaks Young Adult!Dexter's glasses which finally causes him to lose it at Executive!Mandark after years of abuse and proceeds to kick the shit out of him.
- In Samurai Jack, Jack encounters the very time portal he is destined to take back to the past... and finds it guarded by an incredibly formidable warrior. As their battle drags on, well... "That was my favorite suit you just ruined!"
- In Clerks: The Animated Series... well... Randal, in harsh captivity, tears his shirt and writes a note to Dante on it in his blood, which ends with "Also, I ruined the shirt I borrowed from you."
- A bit of a Running Gag on the old TMNT show.
Donatello: Aw, gee; that was my favorite bo.
- An episode of The Mask had the Mask chase an assassin robot to the future just because he had damaged his suit. Sure enough, it was a trap.
- Young Justice had Superboy accidentally sink his feet in lava. He wasn't hurt, but it burned his boots off.
- A moment from the The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 that got a lot of play in YouTube Poop videos was Luigi throwing Mario's "favorite record" into the fire. Mario is not pleased.
- The Powerpuff Girls:
- In the first pilot, "Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins", Bubbles's hair is this.
Oh, no! It can't be! It's... MEAT HAIR! Oh, this is terrible! People, if you only knew how much pride Bubbles takes in her hair! All the washing and conditioning, and the brushing, and brushing, and brushing, and brushing!
- In "Impeach Fuzz":
Mayor: FUZZY! NOBODY WEARS MY HAT!!! ...let's get it on.
- In the first pilot, "Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins", Bubbles's hair is this.
- In the Family Guy episode "Emission Impossible", Stewie puts on lipstick and leaves kissy marks on Peter's shirt so he and Lois won't have sex and have another baby. Lois catches him and scolds him for ruining Peter's favorite shirt... the kind he wears every day.
- In an episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Billy sprays Grim with coffee and he says "Not again! And it was me good robe too!"
- In the first episode, Stu shouts "My favorite shirt!". A bit later, he gets a new one and it gets ruined again, this time saying "My other favorite shirt!".
- Near the end of "Chuckie Loses His Glasses", Angelica gets dizzy from wearing Chuckie's glasses and vomits on her father, who shouts "Oh no! All over my new sweater!".
- Rocko from Rocko's Modern Life had both a lucky shirt (which got lost on Laundry Day) and a closet full of shirts of the same design.
- In Beavis and Butt-Head, when Beavis in a runaway rolling tire causes Todd to spill a drop of his beer on his good jeans, he proceeds to kick the crap out of Beavis off-screen. Butt-Head, true friend that he is, revels in it.
- Celebrity Deathmatch: Christopher Walken, who has been behaving in an Affably Evil way up to this point in his match, turns homicidal after Gary Oldman messes up his hair.
- The Ren & Stimpy Show: In "Fake Dad", Ren's adopted son, a burly jailbird named Kowalski, gets angry when Ren hits him with a spoon. He proceeds to take the couch ("My favorite couch!"), a television set ("My favorite TV!") and Stimpy ("My favorite friend!") and crunch them all to dust.
- In Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama, while fighting two of the Diablo robots, Kim gets shot at by one of their lasers, and while she's not hurt, the hem of her prom dress is burnt pretty bad. Needless to say, Kim was not happy.
Kim: Do you know how much babysitting I had to do to pay for this dress?!