Genres that debuted or were popular in the 1920s:
- Louis Armstrong rose to fame in this decade.
- The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings (recorded between 1925 and 1928, but the CD release is from 2000.)
- Béla Bartók: Composed "The Miraculous Mandarin" (premiered in 1926) and his "Third and Fourth String Quartets".
- Irving Berlin with his musicals and individual songs was rising to fame during this time.
- Aaron Copland
- Bing Crosby
- Duke Ellington
- Ruth Etting whose life story was portrayed in Love Me Or Leave Me.
- George Gershwin wrote two of his most popular works, "Rhapsody In Blue" and "An American In Paris", during this decade.
- Al Jolson was really big during this era.
- Cole Porter
- Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Django Reinhardt
- Igor Stravinsky started his neoclassical phase during this decade.
- Edgard Varèse began composing during this decade.
- Jimmie Rodgers: Father of Country Music, discovered at the Bristol Sessions
- Kurt Weill began his collaboration with Bertolt Brecht.
- The Threepenny Opera (1928)