A specific form of Photo Montage.
After a person has been arrested, photographs are taken by law enforcement to document the offender's height and physical appearance in case of future wrong-doing. Multiple pictures are taken, showing every side of the perp in montage, showing every distinct mark and inflection they may have.
Compare Photo Booth Montage.
See Also Police Lineup.
- Parodied on My Blue Heaven. As Vinnie, a mob boss going on Witness Protection, poses for his new ID photos, he reassures his handler that "this isn't the old me, this is the new me", while unconsciously posing as if he were having his mugshot taken.
- Happens whenever someone is arrested in Hot Fuzz, accompanied by heavy metal music that serves as a Greek Chorus. A particularly long one occurs at the end due to the huge number of suspects, each of the antagonists in the sorry shape the climax left them in.
- When Grandpa is having his mugshot taken in the The Munsters Today episode "Farewell Grandpa", Grandpa is arrested for being an immigrant without a green card (since he came to America before green cards became a thing). As they try to take a photo, his image unable to be captured because he is a vampire, Grandpa does several amusing poses to mock them.
- A feature of the intro to Prisoner: Cell Block H.
- Canada's Worst Driver: Season 4 was filmed at a closed correctional facility. The show photographed the bad drivers mugshot-style for all the intros.
- On Supernatural, when Sam and Dean are arrested in "Folsom Prison Blues", they are finger printed and have their mugshots taken. Dean rather enjoys the process, giving his best Blue Steel pose and asking if his mugshot is better or worse than Nick Nolte's.
- When Spencer is arrested in season 12 of Criminal Minds, they show the entire process of him being processed into the prison including snapshot freeze frames of his mugshot being taken.
- In the opening of Persona 5, the main character is arrested. You get to see the typical frontal and side photographs taken with the main character holding a blank expression the entire time.
- After being arrested at the end of the Trollhunters episode "Waka Chaka", the following episode "Win, Lose or Draal" starts with Jim and Toby having their mugshots taken. Toby starts, finding the photographing segment amusing and does various poses for the camera. Even when it is Jim's turn, he takes the time to photobomb it before Barbara comes to pick them up.
- In the The Looney Tunes Show episode "Jailbird and Jailbunny", Bugs and Daffy are placed in prison for both not paying a littering fine and contempt of court. Before being taken to prison, Daffy's photographs showing his sheer horror while Bugs poses for the camera in an amusing fashion, the last one with his arms around the security officers.
- At the end of the Tiny Toon Adventures episode, "Gang Busters", Montana Max gets a series of photos taken at various angles until he is somehow standing upside down, after which he falls down.