Banned? "Blocked at the request of the user?"
You have been Mistakenly Banned. This tends to happen in at least two main subtypes:
The "accidentally stepping on toes" form is that you did something that, unknown to yourself due to lack of experience made you look like trouble. You're doing something the place or person considers wrong or a violation of netiquette, but you didn't know you were. Ways to invoke this variation include...
- That post promoting your band or business or whatever looked like a Hit-and-Run Poster or a Spammer. (Most forums and other social media venues tend to look very suspiciously upon people who post a link or promotional topic and don't otherwise contribute, for example.)
- A political statement you made or a glowing review made you look like you were engaging in AstroTurf.
- You brought up a topic that, unknown to your knowledge, was not a welcome one to discuss.
- Your Twitter or Facebook consisted solely of what appeared to be advertisements, you regularly post things the person you added doesn't want to see, or you appear to be or have been rumored to be a stalker or other threat.
- You fell for a Fandom-Enraging Misconception or said something considered to be Fandom Heresy or Malicious Slander.
- You were really drunk, high, having an episode of mental illness or triggered and got into an argument or otherwise said/posted things that you wouldn't have done sober or well.
- On This Very Wiki, your computer is running Net Nanny type software and accidentally made you a Bluenose Bowdlerizer, you blank a page (or cut out a large portion of it) rather than direct it to the Trope Repair Shop or Cut List, or your writing skills are of such low quality that your edits literally cannot be understood or look like txt spk.
- You edited a page that's been under Edit War conditions in such a way that looks like you're part of the edit war (this one can even happen to experienced editors).
The "entirely innocent" form is that whatever happened was no fault of your own. Things that can lead and have led to this include:
- You picked a username that, for some reason, resembled that of a past Spammer or Troll or someone once involved in drama of some sort.
- Someone else in your dorm or house could have been a Wiki Vandal or a Troll.
- Someone made a mistake on entering the IP or used an entire range block. Or they mistakenly or intentionally blocked all IP addresses from a certain location or service, or prohibited people from signing up from certain e-mail providers.
- Someone hacked your account and/or otherwise posed as you for some reason. Explanation
- The person you tried to add had been shunned by half your friends list and assumes you're just adding him as a part of your friends' drama.
- You were issued an automatic ban that was the result of a Game-Breaking Bug or a lack of Developers' Foresight.Example
- If the site you just registered on invokes a ban, and accepts/expects donations, then it is possibly a rort to fleece users into paying for membership. See Allegedly Free Game and 419 Scam.
Either way, the best way to handle this is usually to step back, analyze your behavior to make sure your ban wasn't thoroughly deserved, and then try to speak calmly to someone in charge of the site, or to someone who knows the person, to ask what is wrong.
Keep in mind that actual spammers, trolls and other scoundrels often pretend innocence, and that making a Sock Puppet for ban evasion is, in many places on the Internet, itself a bannable offense.
The justification for mistakenly banning people, on the part of site admins, is that it's far easier to keep out some online users than to deal with them once they've made a mess. Related to AstroTurf, Edit War, Fandom-Enraging Misconception, Fan Dumb, Fan Hater, Flame War, Garbage Post Kid, Hate Dumb, Internet Backdraft, Spammer, Troll, and Wiki Vandal for the actions that can lead to people actually uninvolved in them being Mistakenly Banned. The Gadfly is someone who is mistaken for Troll and may be subject to this.
No examples, please. - this is not a page made for filing complaints about being banned. We don't want any flame wars, do we?