The Reveal that the MacGuffin they've been looking for has been with them all along, in the form of one of the characters. See also Living MacGuffin and its subtropes Hostage MacGuffin, MacGuffin Turned Human, MacGuffin Super Person, and Mundane MacGuffin Person for the possible reasons why they might be sought.
Compare God Was My Copilot, which is where a person who's been with them all along is revealed to be a deity or other powerful being. See also Tomato in the Mirror, The Killer in Me, or Hired to Hunt Yourself for instances where the person being searched for is evil or the antagonist.
WARNING! As this trope deals heavily with twists and spoilers, all spoilers will be unmarked!
- Men in Black II: Most of the movie is spent looking for the Light of Zartha, which turns out to be a Human Alien (and J's Love Interest).
- Barbie in the Nutcracker: In this adaptation of the ballet, Barbie/Clara realizes in the end that she is the Sugarplum Princess they'd been looking for all along after her kiss turns the Nutcracker into a prince.
- Wonder Woman: The God Killer turns out not to be the sword Wonder Woman took from Themyscira, but Wonder Woman herself. She's a child of Zeus, and only a god can kill another god.
- Jewel Of The Nile: In this sequel to Romancing the Stone, the aforementioned Jewel is not an object but a title given to a holy man destined to be the spiritual leader of the Arab people.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Harry Potter spends a book and a half looking for Voldemort's six Horcruxes before finding out that he himself is the seventh.
- Oxyacytl spends all of Crystal Rain trying to get the entry codes for the Ma Wi Jung from John DeBrun, by means that range from deception to Cold-Blooded Torture. They all fail, because the entry code is John DeBrun's DNA, handprint, and heart rate.
- In The Da Vinci Code, Sophie is found to be a personification of the Holy Grail, as she is a direct descendant of Jesus Christ and literally carries His blood.
- Super Paper Mario: In Chapter 7 there's an NPC called Luvbi, a Nimbi (the Mario equivalent of an angel) who tags along with the party for a bit. It's revealed at the end of the chapter that she's the last Pure Heart given a living form, since her guardians thought no one would suspect her true nature.
- In Paper Mario: Color Splash, the three chosen toads that open the gate to the Crimson Tower don't know their own power until you help them out.
- Mega Man X: Command Mission: The main plot device of Chapter 3 is the Force Metal Generator, a device that can be used to crank out various new Force Metals. All parties soon discover that its creator, Prof. Gaudile, made the General into his Reploid daughter Cinnamon.
- In the BIONICLE movie Mask of Light, Takua believes he must find the Toa of Light and spends the movie searching Mata Nui for them only to discover that his destiny is to become the Toa of Light himself.
- In Infinity Train, the main character Tulip teams together with the robot One-One - her to find the Conductor of the eponymous train, and him to find his mum. Turns out that One-One is the train's conductor, usurped many years ago by a former passenger, and his "mum" that he's looking for is the motherboard of the train.