Much like a Tomboy, the Ice Queen is a major character archetype which is somewhat hard to define. Her signature characteristic is that she is cold; the ambiguity comes from what "cold" means. She has a cold heart, a frosty demeanor and very often a resting bitch face; she attracts but will never be wooed. Scorned men are likely to call their failed conquests Ice Queens (after all, normal women would have given in to them). Due to the Double Standard, the Ice Queen is (almost) Always Female.
The Ice Queen is considered dangerous to love because she will not (or cannot) love back. She's not much for friendship either, preferring to be alone. Situations where an Ice Queen "thaws" and learns to enjoy the company of others are so common that they have their own trope.
Being an Ice Queen is purely about personality; having ice-related abilities does not make a character an Ice Queen. That said, it's not at all uncommon for a character with a cold personality to be given cold powers, and she can still have an ice motif.
Not to be confused with a character who has a royal title associated with ice or snow, though they two may overlap (and often do in more magical settings).
An Ice Queen requires at least one "cold" personality trait that gets her labeled as an Ice Queen. There are many different flavors; the following are some of them:
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's tall, dark-haired, attractive in an imposing way, and aloof to be around with.
- Alpha Bitch: Usually considered popular, but sometimes the Alpha Bitch only thinks she's popular, and the adoration she perceives is actually fear of her wrath.
- The Baroness: Cold, ruthless and utterly sadistic inside, no matter how warm and soft she may appear. Don't get on her bad side if you value your life.
- Broken Bird: Her hard exterior protects a broken interior, and she won't let anyone in because she's afraid she'll be hurt again.
- Deadpan Snarker: When the insults start to fly, this Ice Queen can match wits with anyone. Someone's ego may end up bruised, but it won't be hers.
- Stepford Snarker: She is hurting inside, but her thorny wit keeps everyone else from getting close enough to see that.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: A former Ice Queen whose frozen heart is thawing.
- Emotionless Girl: She does not warm to anyone because she does not feel emotions, but maybe someone gentle and patient can rekindle her inner flame.
- Grumpy Bear: She's very pessimistic on a good day. Don't bother cheering her up.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She has a sweet side hidden beneath her coldness, though she doesn't want anyone to know about it.
- Iron Lady: A woman in power who must be tougher and smarter than her male rivals, discarding softness and gentleness for fear of appearing weak.
- Jerkass: She's just a jerk, plain and simple.
- Loners Are Freaks: She doesn't want to go shopping, hang out at the mall, and have girltalk about boyfriends? Weirdo.
- Narcissist: She's an egomaniac.
- Perpetual Frowner: She hardly smiles.
- Rich Bitch: She has all the money in the world, but it can't buy her a soul.
- The Snark Knight: She has fervent moral convictions (about herself and others) beneath a shell of world-weary cynicism. A less common subversion.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Her abrasive attitude hides secret feelings of depression.
- Sour Supporter: She has no faith in you as a leader and nothing but scorn for your plans — until everything's on the line, and then she'll stand with you to the end.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: This sister trope of Tsundere varies between warmth and coolness.
- Tsundere: She shows you a confusing duality between warmth and indifference or even hostility, making it hard to know where you stand with her.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: Similar to the Iron Lady, a woman in power must carry herself with aloof detachment and remain unmoved whatever the crisis, or no one will respect her authority.
This is the supertrope for all the "frosty women" subtypes. No examples please, instead place examples in the different subtropes. If we don't have a specific subtrope, then feel free to help us create one for it.