Out of the cannon
And the earth trembled for a while
And the big gun roared
And Hugo soared
Through the air like a projectile
Shooting a person out of a cannon is done in Real Life as a stage act. In fiction, it's a practical way to travel long distances instantly. This is especially popular in video games.
Fiction treats being shot out of a cannon in a very literal way. Cannons used for this purpose in Real Life are powered by a large spring or compressed air, but those in fiction use gunpowder, and are often set off by lighting a fusenote . Their range is even longer than that of real artillery, often on the country-wide or even interplanetary scale.
Expect the ballistic passenger to make a sudden stop by hitting a wall or a solid piece of ground (or water) at the other end. In some works, there will be no apparent effect of gravity on anyone in midflight, meaning their flight path will be a completely straight line from point A to B.
The human cannonball is, of course, an old circus staple that still sees some use today in many performance acts. Obviously, no explosive propellant is used, so springs or compressed air is used to eject the human, with the housing still structured to look like a cannon to keep the idea of the trope alive. The targets are usually nets, air bags or bodies of water, but as noted on The Other Wiki, it still comes with its share of risks, specifically during the landing part of the act.
May be done with a large medieval catapult in comical settings.
- A Wilkins Coffee commercial featured Wilkins firing Wontkins from a cannon.
Wilkins: Did you drink your Wilkins Coffee this morning?Wontkins: Of course not!Wilkins: Okay. (BOOM) That boy's got a long way to go.
- One filler villain in the Fist of the North Star anime has developed a martial art based on being a human cannonball. His entire army uses it.
- In Bleach, Kuukaku Shiba sent Ichigo and co. to the Sereitei this way. It's also the only to get around the "Palaces" of the Zero Squad and then to the Spirit King's palace.
"IS THIS THE ONLY WAY TO GET AROUND HEEEEEEERE?!"
- In Rurouni Kenshin, Yahiko befriends a girl named Marimo who performs this act in the circus she works for. At the end of the episode, Sanosuke picks up the cannon and uses it as shoulder-mounted artillery to fire her at the Villain of the Week.
- One of the gadgets in Doraemon, the Youzooka, is a big gun that can be used to shoot people into the air.
- In episode 3 of Happy Heroes, Big M. and Little M. steal a cannon from a circus act and attempt to use it to launch themselves back to their home planet. As with all of their attempts to get back home, the plan doesn't work.
- In Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf, sometimes Wolffy gets punished by getting shot out of a cannon and flying away into the sky.
- The Circus of Crime in Marvel Comics is, you guessed it, a traveling circus that doubles as a criminal outfit. One of its mainstays is the Human Cannonball, who is fired at enemies while wearing a suit of armor that makes him invulnerable to harm.
- Wonder Woman (1942): In issue 10 Diana has herself shot out a cannon straight into the Saturn Emperor's throne room.
- In Fractured, a Mass Effect/Star Wars/Borderlands crossover, Lilith is placed in a canister and blasted out of a magnetic railgun. In a nod to what would normally happen in such situations, it's handwaved by saying the gun fired at "minimum power." Plus, she's a Siren, so her physiology is more robust.
- Wonderful!: When Wonder Shadow formed her giant crossbow, Vicky became the ammo.
It took perhaps a few more moments than it had for her-which likely said something about the relationship between Sophia and the rest-but in a matter of moments, Sophia was holding out a massive, glimmering black crossbow.
Despite its size, Sophia held it up with ease, took careful aim, and fired.
Glory Girl, encased in a black forcefield shaped like a bolt, led out another startled cry as she was shot towards the tank, piercing straight through it.
- In Between My Brother And Me Mors Omnibus, Yvonne duels Lillie in an Action Field of a circus. Yvonne slips herself into a cannon so she can fly towards an Action Card.
- In Chicken Run, Rocky is part of a circus act where he is shot out of a cannon. After one performance, he drops out of the sky into the lives of the main characters, who initially assume he can fly.
- Marty and Stefano take this role in the circus act in Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
- At the climax of My Little Pony: The Movie (2017), Pinkie Pie and the rest of Twilight Sparkle's friends use the giant cannon Pinkie Pie made near the beginning of the movie to launch themselves across Canterlot in time to save Twilight from the Storm King.
- In the Crosby/Hope comedy Road to Zanzibar one of the scams the duo run is a human-cannonball act; it turns out Hope's character hides in a secret compartment in the base of the cannon and it's a dummy that gets launched out. (And catches fire, and crashes into a tent, and causes an entire carnival to burn down.)
- In Love And Death Lovable Coward Boris Grushenko hides in the cannon barrel. During the battle of Austerlitz...
- Le Voyage dans la lune has our heroes blasted to the Moon in a capsule fired from an enormous cannon. The Moon cops it right in the eye, and doesn't look happy about it.
- Likewise in Things to Come, the first interplanetary expedition involves a young man and woman loaded into a capsule and blasted off from a vertically-standing cannon to spread the seed of Mankind across the Universe.
- On Glee, Sue decides to use a Human Cannonball as a gimmick in the cheerleading routine to win another National Championship. Sue has a very cartoonish way of looking at the world and in her delusion completely ignored how dangerous this stunt is outside a cartoon. Her top cheerleaders tell her she is crazy and quit the team in protest.
- This is the deployment method for the Super Zeozords, Red Battlezord, and Warrior Wheel in Power Rangers Zeo: Being shot out of a cannon.
- King David's Spaceship or "A Spaceship For The King" by Jerry Pournelle uses a variant of this because... supposedly they weren't sophisticated enough for orbital rockets and yet were inexplicably able to build a cannon firing a steady stream of explosive propulsion shells at the rear end of the capsule.
- Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon, although the characters at least use a vehicle there. While Verne's calculations are surprisingly close to the truth considering the lack of data at his time, in Real Life the resulting G-forces (around 22000 g) would have crushed the vehicle and its passengers.
- "Hugo the Human Cannonball" by Ray Stevens. One of his darker songs. The title character flies 250 feet into the air, looks down and realizes he's going to miss the net, then splatters all over the upper bleachers.
- Webb Wilder's "Human Cannonball" features the title character relating how awesome his job is.
- Dilbert had to use a cannon as transportation when his company was cutting back on travel budgets.
- Parker Brothers had a game in 1990 called Flying Pirates which featured nutty pirates using this method to board an enemy ship. (The game itself involved each player having a toy ship, where the objective was to launch the small figures onto the opponent's ship; first player to tip the opposing ship over wins.)
- DT 3 has cannons that launch the player so fast that you apparently trail rainbows
- In the A Boy and His Blob Wii game, one of the jellybeans transforms a blob into a cannon. A boy is one of things that can go in the cannon to be shot and there occasionally happens to be an enemy that can be shot from there too.
- Averted in Aero the Acro-Bat. Aero on several occasions launches themselves out of a cannon to get somewhere, but it's the air powered circus type complete with 'FWHOOMP!' sound effect.
- The artillery cannon in Clonk provides a quick way of getting clonks over large canyons or mountains.
- Most matches in Custom Robo start out like this, if Transforming Miniature Robot Cannon Cube doesn't stretch the definition too much.
- Donkey Kong Country. Barrel cannons. Heck, the spinoff Donkey Kong Barrel Blast/Jet Race uses them as jetpacks!
- Used offensively in Dwarfs!? Each outpost has a cannon that can be loaded with its patrolling warrior dwarves and fired at whatever you need dead.
- A catapult version is done in Hexen 2, to get over a wall at one point in the game. However, you have to position yourself so that it only flings you far enough to pass the wall: letting it toss you high enough into the air will cause you to take falling damage when you land.
- Kirby sometimes uses these to get from place to place. They serve as "beat the clock" challenges, because Kirby has to light the fuse and get inside the cannon before it goes off.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and in a similar minigame in Skyward Sword, although the catapult used before the stealth scene in The Wind Waker might also count.
- A good way to get around in Little King's Story is to purchase and use giant cow cannons, which made getting back to places like the Skull Plains a lot less difficult.
- In Jumper, there are "shooters", pink boxes which Ogmo can hop in to be shot in direction indicated by spinning cursor. Variations include blue faster ones (Jumper Redux) and one-time use yellow ones (Jumper Two Editor). Money Seize, a game by the same author, features those as well.
- CarnEvil has the player getting into a cannon to launch them up to the top of the tent.
- Near the beginning of The Secret of Monkey Island Guybrush can earn some money by letting the acrobatic Fetuccini brothers use him as a guinea pig for their human cannonball act, with a cooking pot as a makeshift helmet. Much later, he uses the same technique to shoot himself out of his ship's cannon in order to reach the shores of Monkey Island.
- In the final stage of Miner 2049er, Bounty Bob has to load a cannon with TNT and then shoot himself out of it. Overloading the cannon will produce a fatal explosion.
- A bonus event in Pilotwings 64 has you launch yourself into a target in this manner.
- The Mistralton Gym in Pokémon Black and White is rife with this kind of transportation. The second-to-last one before your meeting with Skyla is... maladjusted.
- Rocket Knight Adventures:
- In Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, the only way out of the Russian unit Bullfrog is via the "Man Cannon". It's portrayed more realistically though since the infantry units descend with parachutes after being fired from the cannon.
- In Runescape's "A Clockwork Syringe" quest, firing yourself out of the cannon directly is too dangerous, so you weld a chain to the cannonball, attach a barrel to it, and ride in that instead! In "Between a rock" quest. player is launched out of the cannonball towards a rock wall with a golden helmet on.
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, one of the more fun ways of getting around Oil Ocean Zone is to shoot yourself out of the various cannons dotted throughout the level.
- In the Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3, circus cannons appear throughout both acts, and allow the player to launch themselves into the air, and one is used to enter the next zone after the boss battle.
- Sonic Heroes:
- The game features cannons where how it fires will depend on who the team leader is when you enter it.
- During the Bullet Station Zone the player team will occasionally use a really big cannon, which is the size of an entire building.
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon has a ninja level that allows you to do this, though human cannonball might be a bit of a misnomer.
- Several stages in the Subspace Emissary mode of Super Smash Bros. Brawl feature the barrel cannons as a Shout-Out to Donkey Kong Country.
- Mario Kart has many tracks, often those based on the Donkey Kong Country series, where you get launched out of a cannon.
- From Mario Kart: Double Dash!! there is DK Mountain.
- From Mario Kart DS there is Waluigi Pinball.
- Mario Kart Wii has three tracks where you are fired out of a cannon: DK Summit (DK's Snowboard Cross) in the Flower Cup, Maple Treeway in the Star Cup, and DK Mountain, which returns in the Lightning Cup.
- Super Mario Bros., probably once per game now. There are pipe cannons in Super Mario World, cannons in various levels in Super Mario 64, a giant cannon that launches you to Pinna Park in Super Mario Sunshine, cannons in space in Super Mario Galaxy, cannons used as a Warp Zone in New Super Mario Bros...
- The first Mario Party game had Wario's Battle Canyon in the original, where this was the only method of transport between areas.
- One of the 1 Vs. 3 mini-games in Mario Party 4 is "Hide and Go Boom". Each of the three team players must choose one of four cannons to hide in (indicated by the controller buttons), while the single player is given three torches to light them. If the single player manages to shoot all three team players out of the cannons, then it wins, but if at least one team player is still in a cannon when the three torches are used up, then the team wins.
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door had a giant Bob-Omb-powered cannon used to launch Mario to the moon...
- In Paper Mario: The Origami King, Mario can get blown out of a cannon if he answers incorrectly in the Sudden Death question in the Shy Guys Finish Last quiz show. However, since the show takes place on a Floating Continent, Mario gets blown through the roof straight into a Non Standard Game Over.
- In Terramex, you need to do this to cross a lake. By the time you reach the cannon, you will have collected three kegs of gunpowder of varying sizes. Use too much gunpowder and you will end up smashing yourself against a mountain, too little and you will fall into the lake. Choose wisely. It's the medium sized keg.
- Wario Land: Shake It! has this as a way of travel in several levels. Sometimes even with moving cannons.
- In Kid Icarus: Uprising Pit gets shot out as more an "Angel Cannonball". He doesn't like the idea one bit.
- Used as an actual Improvised Weapon in one level on The Outfoxies.
- May's new Instant Kill move in Guilty Gear X-Sign is basically this. She grabs her opponent, stuffs him/her inside the Mayship's actual cannon and, with the help of her best friend April, she shoots him/her off from there. It's both awesome and hilarious.
- Cannon travel is a staple of World of Mana games (featured in Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana)—just hop in and shoot off, as your characters don't ever have to worry about fall damage!
- Unsurprisingly, the Atari 2600 video game Human Cannonball is all about this trope. The player must set the cannon's position, angle, and blast strength in order to shoot the subject into a water tank.
- In The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, the protagonists are offered a ride to Izumo in a "Miracle Flying Transport," which turns out to be a cannon. It misfires, and they wind up at Tengu Mountain instead.
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate features the Artillery Mask for your Shakalaka companions to wear. The mask's special power is to turn the wearer into a cannon and fire the other Shakalaka out of it, making for a surprisingly effective projectile.
- In Scribblenauts, you can summon a Human Cannon, which spawns with a clown already inside. Firing the cannon launches the clown, after which you can reload it with other people.
- In Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, in the ice mountain levels, when Buster finds a cannon, it launches him into space. As he falls back down, he can collect airborne bonuses if he is positioned correctly.
- In The Simpsons: Virtual Bart, the goal of the Baby Bart level is to get Baby Bart into the cannon at the end of the circus tent. The cannon fires him out of the tent and into the ice cream truck he pursues in the following cutscene.
- One DLC vehicle in Saints Row: The Third, the Genki Manapault, uses this as its main weapon. Driving into pedestrians, gang members, or even your own homies sucks them up, at which point they can be promptly fired out of the cannon atop the car, leaving a trail of sparkling stars along the way.
- World of Warcraft: Not truly a cannon, but the Ultrasafe Personnel Launcher used by the gnomes in Steelgrill's Depot (and anyone allied with them, like your character) to get past the enemy and their base camp is the same idea. (Luckily, a parachute is provided when you use it, and the guy you report to assured the disorientation lasts only a minute or so.)
- A more straightforward example is the cannon in the Darkmoon Faire, which provides some magic wings that allow you to fall down slower. Of course, the point of the attraction is to get rid of the wings at the right time so you can land in a ring floating in the coast (the closest to the bullseye, the more points you get). If you unsummon the wings too late, you'll still land in the water. The problem comes if you do it too soon...
- In Spanky's Quest (SNES version), both player and enemy characters can shoot out of cannons, though neither exactly qualifies as human.
- Doom Eternal is a very badass example. At one point in the story, the Doom Slayer loads himself up to a giant cannon and shoots himself out of it (after kicking out the actual ammo) in order to get to a drifting space vessel. He's blasted straight through the hull like an actual cannonball and still lands on his feet and ready to start shooting.
- This is used as a pun in Toontown Online. After you beat the CEO, you get pink slips to fire enemy Cogs. By fire, of course, the game means fire from a cannon.
- Subverted in Schlock Mercenary, in the Barsoom circus arc. A human cannonball's gunpowder was replaced with higher-grade explosive and he splattered into a concrete dam miles away.
- Variant in A Miracle of Science: A one-man pod is shot into space with a giant cannon, design courtesy of a mad scientist. When it fails, Ludicrous Gibs result. (Fortunately the failure rate isn't very big...)
- In Sluggy Freelance Zoe dated a professional Human Cannonball for a while. They met after he crash landed on another guy Zoe was trying to chat up.
- In one User Friendly story arc, Pitr is launched to the moon by trebuchet.
- In 8-Bit Theater, the main characters have once to use a cannon to travel to their next destination. Of course, the first test is with Black Mage and the explosion happens, but Black Mage isn't sent on the way.
- In Hazard's Wake, Talon delivers Fluffy to Maple by firing him out of a cannon. Fluffy is resilient enough to survive this, but his impact destroys Maple's ship.
- In the Youtube video Friendship is Magic Bitch, it turns out that this is how Princess Celestia banishes her adversaries to the moon. Or not quite.
- The anime-styled animation Zazel has this as its premise. In the future, Human Cannonball Racing is a sport, where contestants are fired from a series of cannons from a platform, and compete to reach the goal through the circular city hovering high in the sky. The plot happens when the titular girl who's a maintenance lady is accidentally mistaken for a contestant and is thrown into the tournament.
- Cuddles is shot out of one in an episode of Happy Tree Friends, with gruesome results (due to Toothy misinterpreting Mime's instructions to put two scoops of gunpowder in; Toothy put two barrels in instead).
- Dreamscape: Done in a rather spectacular fashion with Jamie by everyone working together and combining their powers in the flashback in "Over and Under" to seal the Overlord of Evil away.
- Krusty the Clown in The Simpsons once shot his half brother Luke Perry out of a cannon. The shot missed, sending Luke out of the studio, through a sandpaper factory and a display of half-price acid at the Kwik-E-Mart before he landed in a mattress warehouse. Which was then blown up. He also often shot Sideshow Bob out of a cannon, which contributed to Bob's hatred of him in "Krusty Gets Busted." (This later comes back to good use in "The Great Louse Detective", when Bob has to shoot himself out of the cannon on one Mardi Gras float in order to save Homer from getting Impaled with Extreme Prejudice in the swordfish museum.)
- The Tick had a supporting cast member called The Human Bullet who was frequently fired at the episode's climactic battle scene by his child (or neighbor in one case). He usually had little beneficial effect on the fight, if he ever made it in time at all.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episode Pinkie Pride, Pinkie Pie fires herself out of her party cannon, followed by Rainbow Dash being fired out of Cheese Sandwich's party artillery piece.
- Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner: Wile E. has attempted to fire himself out of a cannon multiple times in his neverending quest to catch the Road Runner. What he has achieved are multiple new ways to injure himself.
- Cannonbolt is shot out of Rex's Slam Cannon in Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United. Justified in that Cannonbolt can survive reentering Earth and the Slam Cannon is designed to shoot projectiles the size of small cars.
- Celebrity Deathmatch Roberto Benigni accidentally wins his bout with Benito Mussolini this way.
- Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons:
- In the episode, "Unlucky Knuckles" from the same series, in an attempt to shift the luck balance of the universe (the idea given to him by Sticks), Knuckles fires himself out of a cannon at the bottom of a deep pit.
- In "Role Models", Knuckles launches Tails out of a cannon and Tails lands in a trash can. Before Knuckles can do the same with Amy, he is stopped by D.B. Platypus. When Sonic protests against D.B. calling him and his friends bad role models, he hits the cannon, launching Amy into a tree.
- In the Rugrats episode, "Circus Angelicus", when Angelica stages her own circus in Tommy's backyard, she wants Chuckie to be a "human candyball". However, Chuckie can't remember what he's supposed to do, and as Angelica tries to explain it to him by sitting on one end of a seesaw, Phil and Lil jump onto the other end, launching her into the air.
- W.: William does this in one episode.
- Disenchantment: In the season 2 episode The Dreamland Job, the circus troupe performing for King Zog end their show with one of these. This in order to mask the explosion in the vault they were robbing at the same time.
- The Fairly OddParents: In the original pilot, as one of the many things Cosmo and Wanda do to Vicky, Vicky ends up shot out of a circus cannon. She lands Chained to a Railway.