A gag where a character drinks hot sauce without realizing that they are, mistaking it for something else or being forced to.
Or, alternatively, a character having Bizarre Taste in Food and using it as a condiment, often adding much too much, much to the disgust of the other people.
Or, alternatively again, a character drinking it deliberately as a display of his toughness/manliness.
- John Cusack's character in War, Inc. is often seen drinking shot-glasses of hot sauce as a method of self-flagellation (he's an assassin).
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit: This happens to Roger during the opening cartoon Somethin's Cookin. Roger gets his head stuck in a tea kettle, then a bottle of "Acme Chili Sauce - Extra Hot" falls down off a dislodged shelf and sticks in the spout, pouring its contents directly into Roger's mouth. The kettle on Roger's head turns bright red with steam hissing out of it and his overalls. Roger then explodes out of the kettle like a flaming rocket and launches across the kitchen head first into an ironing board.
- Animorphs: Among the many things Ax has consumed that gross humans out was Taco Bell hot sauce straight out of the packets. The manager who kicked them out suggested getting him a bottle of Tabasco.
- There was a Hardy Boys book with a scene where Chet mistook some kind of extremely hot sauce for soup. He thought he'd been poisoned.
- In Hogfather, during a discussion of Hideous Hangover Cures, Ridcully says he had an uncle who drank an entire bottle of Wow-Wow Sauce as a hangover cure. And it worked, sort of. He looked very peaceful at the wake.
- The aliens in the Roswell High series put Tabasco sauce on almost all their food and combine flavors in ways that would make Earthlings vomit. This was carried over into the TV show based on the books (see below).
- A rarely-encountered round of Distraction is a standard quiz round, except the buzzers are replaced with shot glasses of hot sauce. To ring in, a contestant must drink and swallow the hot sauce in a shot glass, then answer the question.
- In Everybody Loves Raymond, Butt Gorilla Robert Barone at first refuses to believe his father has lost his sense of taste and smell. He argues that the bottle of jalapeno sauce under debate has been hanging around his mother's kitchen since before the Korean War and has denatured. He then proves his argument by taking a long swallow. Thirty seconds later he is hanging on his back underneath the kitchen cold tap and Debra is berating him to at least use a glass.
- Played for Drama in the Fallen Angels episode "Tomorrow I Die" (based on a story by Mickey Spillane). A gang of psychotic criminals forces a waitress they've taken hostage to drink a glass of Louisiana Hot Sauce, saying she'll stay alive only as long as she keeps drinking. She manages a few gulps before stopping, and gets shot dead.
- The Good Eats episode "The Wing and I" had Alton goading a young man shopping with his girlfriend into taking shots of hot sauce by telling him he probably couldn't handle it in order to demonstrate the theory that the consumption of hot foods is tied to the feats of physical endurance common in ancient mating rituals. As the guy runs off to find something to cool his mouth, Alton explains this to the unimpressed girlfriend, who quickly changes her tune and runs off after him.
- Our Miss Brooks:
- Mr. Boynton likes hot food. In "Mr. Boynton's Barbeque" he treats Mr. Conklin and Miss Enright to his "mild" barbecue sauce. The two run for water.
- In the episode, "The Miserable Caballeros", Mexican boy Ricky Velasco proceeds to put an extraordinary amount of pepper and spices on his lunch. He tells Miss Brooks that he finds American food too bland.
- Fringe: Observers will cover their food in peppers and douse it in Hot Sauce before eating it.
- The aliens in Roswell put Tabasco sauce on almost all of their food and even bake it into brownies.
- Red Dwarf: Dave Lister has been known to drink Tabasco sauce after spreading it on his cornflakes.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd, in his efforts to beat the ludicrously difficult Transformers: Convoy no Nazo, drank video game champion Billy Mitchell's own brand of hot sauce, believing it would increase his gaming skill.
- Hot Ones:
- In the Rachael Ray episode, Rachael drinks the hot sauces right off a spoon instead of putting them over the chicken wings as usual.
- In the Alton Brown episode, he takes a swig of one of the mid-grade sauces and comments on how he could improve it.
- Hot Pepper Gaming will do this sometimes with some kind of Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce, tasking reviewers to drink shot glasses full of it before reviewing, or dunking an already spicy pepper in the stuff and eating that. Some reviewers make it through in one piece. Quite a few more are reduced to tears and profanity.
- In one of the Put it in your Mouth videos, the panels (Noah, Wes and Sohinki) must eat shaved ice poured with hot sauce on it. The final sauce (ghost pepper) was enough to send everyone aside from Sohinki into a screaming mess of snot and tears.
- Vinesauce streamer Joel admitted in his Pokemon Gold randomized stream that he likes drinking hot sauce, straight from the bottle.
- The Amazing World of Gumball: In "The Mothers," the last challenge of the "Mom-Off" is stomaching a spoonful of hot sauce. Jackie, Tobias' mom, refuses the spoonful and chugs the whole bottle, winning the competition. However, Gumball later discovers that Jackie cheated by swapping the hot sauce in the bottle with ketchup, and disqualifies her.
- An episode of American Dad! had Stan wolf down an entire jar of horseradish, causing him to blow out his sphincter.
- On the Classic Disney Short "Donald's Nephews", Donald Duck eats a slice of pie whose filling has been replaced by hot mustard.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: "Honor Thy Ed" begins with the Ed's preparing a scam selling tacos made from paper plates, grass and crayons. To cover up the taste, Eddy douses the tacos with his brothers secret recipe Armenian Secret Hot Sauce, which Double D takes a swig off after eating one of the crayons, to wash out the taste. After noticing that neither Double D, nor Ed who's eating one of the tacos, seem to be affected, Eddy thinks the sauce is a dud and tastes some himself... only to see Double D erupt like a volcano, and Ed now looks like a burnt match head. Cue the spice kicking in on Eddy, with his hair burning down like dynamite fuses. One Gory Discretion Shot later, and the Ed's have latched themselves to a sprinkler.
- Looney Tunes: In the Speedy Gonzales short "Gonzales' Tamales" Sylvester is subjected to a particularly unfortunate example of this. Speedy is hiding in a box filled with hot peppers and Sylvester is bullheadedly eating every single one in an attempt to find him, quenching himself between peppers from a nearby water cooler. Naturally, Speedy substitutes the cooler with a tank of Tabasco sauce and the combination of hot pepper and hot sauce causes Sylvester to rocket away into the sky.
- In one Metalocalypse episode (concerning the guys' various endorsement deals), Nathan Explosion is shown drinking straight from a bottle of Explosion Sauce. It lives up to its name when Skwisgaar tastes it and his allergy to cilantro becomes extremely apparent.
- In the first episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Twilight Sparkle is annoyed by Pinkie Pie's ramblings, so she goes to pour herself a drink. Unfortunately, she pours herself a glass of hot sauce, and doesn't realize this until she has taken a sip and has the inevitable reaction.
Pinkie Pie: Aw, look! She's so happy she's crying!
- Pinkie then dumps nearly the whole bottle on a cupcake and tosses it into her mouth. She's completely unfazed by this, and says that it's good.
- Later during a visit to Cloudsdale, Pinkie takes a taste of liquid rainbow. She finds it to be unbearably spicy, even by her standards.
- Regular Show has Benson, Mordecai and Rigby down a spicy concoction named Mississippi Queen. They appear to be fine for a moment, but then get hallucinations and wake up at the park with no memory of what happened in between.
- The Simpsons has the classic example of Homer eating chili prepared with the Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango, which he can only down because he coated the inside of his mouth with wax. He not only has multiple portions, but he even eats one of the peppers whole! This results in Homer going through a Mushroom Samba.
- Spongebob Squarepants: In "Karate Choppers", Sandy makes Spongebob say "uncle" by threatening to pour one drop of Volcano Sauce on his tongue... that talks, then she drinks from the bottle like it's water.
- Taz-Mania: In "Francis Takes a Stand", Francis swaps Taz's lemonade recipe for a hot sauce recipe, resulting in Taz drinking a pitcher of hot sauce and turning into a Fire-Breathing Diner.
- Xiaolin Showdown has the episode Night of the Sapphire Dragon where, after every single other character has been incapacitated by the eponymous Sapphire Dragon, Dojo drinks two bottles of Grand Pappy's Tin Horn Sizzlin' Salsa Sauce in order to give his Breath Weapon enough oomph to defeat the evil Shen Gong Wu.