" 'Old on to tha pin, throw the udder part!"
— Ork Tankbusta, Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War
Tropes to do with hand-held explosive devices:
- Blinded by the Light: Along with being deafened by the noise, the usual result of getting hit with a stun grenade (also called a flashbang).
- Bombproof Appliance: Includes disposing of a grenade by putting it in the fridge,
- Concussion Frags: When concussion grenades and frags act inexplicably alike.
- Fake in the Hole: Tossing something at your foes and pretending it's a grenade, causing them to dive for cover.
- Grenade Hot Potato: A grenade is live and the characters spend the next few seconds trying to pass it off on someone else, until someone gets the bright idea to lob the grenade far away.
- Grenade Launcher: A Cool Gun that fires grenades.
- Grenade Spam: Tossing around more grenades than humanly possible.
- Grenade Tag: Using a Sticky Bomb on the unwary.
- Insert Grenade Here: Shoving a grenade into a buttoned-up armoured vehicle for maximum carnage.
- Jumping on a Grenade: A type of Heroic Sacrifice where a soldier jumps on a grenade to shield his comrades from the blast.
- Molotov Cocktail: a.k.a. "the people's grenade".
- Pineapple Surprise: Pulling the pin out of a grenade while someone else is still wearing it.
- Pin-Pulling Teeth: Pulling the pin out with your teeth: It looks cool, and frees up a hand for mowing down enemies with a machine gun, but isn't possible without damaging your teeth. This is not done in Real Life.
- Sticky Bomb: Your basic grenade, now with adhesive.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: For people who use thrown explosives and incendiaries as a Weapon of Choice.
- Throw the Pin: How do you use a grenade? Easy: pull the pin, and throw it. Wait, you still have the grenade?!?
- Trick Bomb: Fictional (or sometimes Real Life) handheld explosives with unusual properties, such as Sticky Bombs and Stink Bombs.
See also Stuff Blowing Up for the effects of grenade use.